45. "Oh, What a Night."

Sherlock went on with his stories as he got to the Mayfly Man. As Sherlock told about the case, something happened.

"The Mayfly Man is... here today." Sherlock said then dropped his champagne glass as it shattered by me feet. A few pieces of glass hit my foot and there were a few cuts. I cringed but moved my foot, shaking off the glass.

"Ooh, sorry. I..." Sherlock looked down and frowned taking my hand as the master of ceremonies approached.

"Another glass, sir?"

"Thank you, yes. Thank you, yes." Sherlock said taking the glass with his other hand, then looked back to the crowd.

"Now, where were we?" Sherlock asked. I squeezed his hand unsure of what was going on with him.

"Ah, yes. Raising glasses and standing up. Very good. Thank you." Sherlock said and I looked at him in confusion.

"And down again." Sherlock said as we all went to sit back down. Sherlock put his glass down and let go of my hand. "Ladies and gentlemen, people tell you not to milk a good speech – get off early, leave 'em laughing. Wise advice I'll certainly try to bear in mind. But for now... part two. Part two is more action-based. I'm gonna ... walk around, shake things up a bit. Who'd go to a wedding? That's the question. Who would bother to go to any lengths to get themselves to a wedding? Well, everyone. Weddings are great! Love a wedding." Sherlock said.

"What's he doing?" Mary asked me, looking at John.

"Something's wrong." John and I said quietly.

"And John's great, too! Haven't said that enough. Barely scratched the surface. I could go on all night about the depth and complexity of his... jumpers..." Sherlock said as I watched him pacing around people. "And he can cook. Does ... a ... thing ... thing with peas ... once. Might not be peas. Might not be him. But he's got a great singing voice... or somebody does. Ahh, too many, too many, too many, too many!" Sherlock said and I felt my chest rise and fall quickly, worried about him. "Sorry. Too many jokes about John! Now, er... Where was I? Ah, yes... Speech! Speech. Let's talk about... murder." Sherlock said. John sighed and Mary frowned as I stood up grabbing a napkin to wipe my food. "Sorry, did I say 'murder'? I meant to say 'marriage' – but, you know, they're quite similar procedures when you think about it. The participants tend to know each other, and it's over when one of them's dead. In fairness, murder is a lot quicker, though. Janine!" Sherlock said causing Janine and me to look up at Sherlock quickly. "What about this one? Acceptably hot? More importantly, his girlfriend's wearing brand-new uncomfortable underwear... and hasn't bothered to pick this thread off the top of his jacket... or point out the grease smudge on the back of his neck. Currently, he's going home alone." Sherlock said. "Also, he's a comics and sci-fi geek. They're always tremendously grateful – really put the hours in." Sherlock smiled. "Geoff, the gents." Sherlock looked at Lestrade and jerked his head to the door. "The loos, now, please." Sherlock said to him.

"It's Greg." Lestrade said annoyed.

"The loos, please." Sherlock said when Lestrade's phone went off.

"Why?" Lestrade asked.

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe it's your turn." Sherlock said.

"Yeah, actually, now you mention it..." Lestrade said checking the message he received. He stood up and Sherlock put his phone in his pocket.

"Sherlock, any chance of a – an end date for this speech? Gotta cut the cake." John said.

"Oh! Ladies and gentlemen, can't stand it when I finally get the chance to speak for once, Vatican Cameos." Sherlock said directing the words to me and John.