43. "Reception Pt. 2"

I looked at Sherlock as he took out cards from his pocket and began handing them to me. He wasn't going to use them unless he got extremely nervous.

"Done that. Done that... Done that bit... Done that bit... Done that bit... Hmm..." he hummed. "I'm afraid, John, I can't congratulate you." Sherlock said and Mary looked up at John in surprise. "All emotions, and in particular love, stand opposed to the pure, cold reason I hold above all things. A wedding is, in my considered opinion, nothing short of a celebration of all that is false and specious and irrational and sentimental in this ailing and morally compromised world." Sherlock spouted off making me shift in my seat as people began murmuring. "Today we honor the death-watch beetle that is the doom of our society and, in time – one feels certain – our entire species. But anyway... let's talk about John." Sherlock said as John muttered a please.

"If I burden myself with a little help-mate during my adventures, it is not out of sentiment or caprice – it is that he has many fine qualities of his own that he has overlooked in his obsession with me. Indeed, any reputation I have for mental acuity and sharpness comes, in truth, from the extraordinary contrast John so selflessly provides." John sighed as Mary frowned and I looked down at my hands. "It is a fact, I believe, that brides tend to favor exceptionally plain bridesmaids for their big day. There is a certain analogy there, I feel." Sherlock said and I frowned. "And contrast is, after all, God's own plan to enhance the beauty of his creation... or it would be if God were not a ludicrous fantasy designed to provide a career opportunity for the family idiot." Sherlock said and Mary face-palmed as more guests began talking to one another and Sherlock paused. "The point I'm trying to make is that I am the most unpleasant, rude, ignorant and all-round obnoxious arsehole that anyone could possibly have the misfortune to meet. I am dismissive of the virtuous... unaware of the beautiful..." Sherlock added looking at me as I took his hand. "And uncomprehending in the face of the happy. So if I didn't understand I was being asked to be best man, it is because I never expected to be anybody's best friend. Certainly not the best friend of the bravest and kindest and wisest human being I have ever had the good fortune of knowing." Several people smiled at this and I heard a few "Aw's"."John, I am a ridiculous man... redeemed only by the warmth and constancy of your friendship. But, as I'm apparently your best friend, I cannot congratulate you on your choice of companion." He looked down and smirked before continuing. "Actually, now I can." Sherlock said. John and Mary smiled as I began to tear up.

"Mary, when I say you deserve this man, it is the highest compliment of which I am capable. John, you have endured war, and injury, and tragic loss... so sorry again about that last one... so know this: today you sit between the woman you have made your wife, the girl who showed up at the flat, and the man you have saved – in short, the three people who love you most in all this world. And I know I speak for Mary and Liz as well when I say we will never let you down, and we have a lifetime ahead to prove that." Sherlock said. Some people were also crying which made me feel better.

"If I try and hug him, stop me." I heard John mutter to me and I giggled.

"Nope." I said.

"Ah, yes. Now on to some funny stories about John..." Sherlock said, then looked up to see everyone crying.

"What's wrong? What happened? Why are you all doing that? John?" Sherlock asked in full out panic mode. "Liz?" he asked pleadingly.

"Oh, Sherlock!" I heard Mrs. Hudson.

"Did I do it wrong?" Sherlock asked looking at John. John stood up and shook his head.

"No, you didn't. Come here." John said walking behind me to hug Sherlock. Everyone clapped and I continued to cry like an idiot.

"I haven't finished yet." Sherlock said and I laughed.

"Yeah, I know, I know."

"So, on to some funny stories..." Sherlock began and I laughed at John's face.

"Can you – can you wait 'til I sit down?" John asked and Sherlock nodded putting his head down.

"So, on to some funny stories about John." Sherlock began as everyone quieted down.

"If you could all just cheer up a bit, that would..." Sherlock said and most of us laughed. "...be better. On we go. So, for funny stories." Sherlock began then pulled out his phone. "One has to look no further than John's blog." Sherlock said.

"Here we go." John sighed. Sherlock began telling about multiple cases when he brought one up about The Bloody Guardsman. My favorite.

_______________________________________________________________

Now on to The Bloody Guardsman :) 

Comment and vote as always! :)