31. "Kitty."

Sherlock, John and I sat in the dark in Kitty Riley's apartment. The doorknob jiggled and I held my breath as she came in and flicked on the lights. 

"Too late to go on the record?" Sherlock asked. She looked at all of us in shock as Sherlock took a hairpin from her table. He picked the locks on our cuffs and Sherlock looked at "Kitty".

"Congratulations. The truth about Sherlock Holmes. The scoop that everybody wanted and you got it. Bravo!" Sherlock spat.

"I gave you your opportunity. I wanted to be on your side, remember? You turned me down, so..." she began eyeing me. 

"And then, behold, someone turns up and spills all the beans. How utterly convenient. Who is Brook?" Sherlock asked. She shook her head and I looked at John. "Oh, come on, Kitty. No-one trusts the voice at the end of a telephone." Sherlock added. "There are all those furtive little meetings in cafés; those sessions in the hotel room where he gabbled into your Dictaphone. How do you know that you can trust him? A man turns up with the Holy Grail in his pockets. What were his credentials?" Sherlock asked. Suddenly, we heard someone walking down the hall. Kitty looked over and Jim Moriarty walked in, unshaven looking like a hobo.

"Darling, they didn't have any ground coffee so I just got normal..." Moriarty began and I grabbed John's arm, not wanting Sherlock to look sentimental. Jim's eyes widen at Sherlock and he held his hands up looking at Sherlock as though he was terrified. 

"You said that they wouldn't find me here. You said that I'd be safe here." Jim said to Kitty. 

"You are safe, Richard. I'm a witness. He wouldn't harm you in front of witnesses." She said.

"Oh try me," I muttered.

"So that's your source? Moriarty is Richard Brook?!" John asked. 

"Of course he's Richard Brook. There is no Moriarty. There never has been." Kitty said.

"What are you talking about?" John asked.

"Look him up. Rich Brook – an actor Sherlock Holmes hired to be Moriarty." She said. I looked up at Sherlock who was staring at Moriarty who was holding up his hands. 

"Doctor Watson, I know you're a good man." Moriarty began. He backed up seeing John's glare in his direction. 

"Don't ... don't h... Don't hurt me." Him said as John began yelling at him.

"No, you are Moriarty! Moriarty! We've met, remember? You were gonna blow me up!" John yelled. Jim sounded extremely nervous and scared for his life as he responded. 

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. He paid me. I needed the work. I'm an actor. I was out of work. I'm sorry, okay?" John and I both turned to Sherlock.

"Sherlock, you'd better... explain... because I am not getting this." John said. Sherlock looked down at me and I stood there just as confused as John. I saw Moriarty in Sherlock's flat, he was talking to me. 

"Oh I'll... I'll be doing the explaining – in print. It's all here – conclusive proof." Kitty said handing John a folder. John looked at it, and opened the folder to read her next article reading, "Sherlock's a fake!" added with, "He invented all the crimes". "You invented James Moriarty, your nemesis." She said to Sherlock.

"Invented him?" John asked sounding distraught.

"Mmm-hmm. Invented all the crimes, actually – and to cap it all, you made up a master villain." Kitty said. 

"Oh, don't be ridiculous!" John shouted. 

"Ask him. He's right here! Just ask him. Tell him, Richard."

"Look, for God's sake, this man was on trial!" John yelled. 

"Yes..." She began then motioned to Sherlock. "And you paid him; paid him to take the rap. Promised you'd rig the jury." She added. Sherlock wasn't saying anything, he was just looking at her. "Not exactly a West End role, but I'll bet the money was good." She said walking over to stand by Jim. "But not so good he didn't want to sell his story."

"I am sorry. I am. I am sorry." Jim said.

"So-so this is the story that you're gonna publish. The big conclusion of it all: Moriarty's an actor?!" John asked.

"He knows I am. I have proof. I have proof. Show him, Kitty! Show him something!" Jim said. 

"Yeah, show me something." John said. Kitty walked across the room and Jim looked over at Sherlock with an evil smile and Sherlock gave him a slight smile as Kitty handed John the folder. I let go of John and fiddled with my fingers nervously. "I'm on TV. I'm on kids' TV. I'm The Storyteller." Jim said and I looked up at Sherlock remembering what we saw in the cab. "I'm ... I'm The Storyteller. It's on DVD." "Just tell them. It's all coming out now. It's all over. Just tell them. Just tell them. Tell them!" Jim pleaded to Sherlock. Sherlock began walking over to Jim and he didn't notice at first. "It's all over now... NO!" Jim scampered up the stairs terrified. 

"Don't you touch me! Don't you lay a finger on me!"

"Stop it. Stop it NOW!" Sherlock yelled at him chasing him up the stairs, John and I following, Kitty behind John. 

"Don't hurt me!" I heard Jim.

"Don't let him get away!" John yelled. 

"Leave him alone!" Kitty yelled. 

Jim ran into a bedroom and before I knew it Sherlock was in the room and I entered, not seeing Jim. Then I heard the sound of the trash bins outside.

"No, no, no. He'll have back-up." Sherlock said as we all went to leave when Kitty stopped him. 

"D'you know what, Sherlock Holmes? I look at you now and I can read you." She said and she got in his face. 

"And you... repel... me." She said to him. Sherlock pushed past her and ran out as I stayed behind.

"He repels you, huh?" I asked. She smirked menacingly at me and I smiled. I punched her in the face as she hit the floor. "Well he's not for you. Bitch." I kicked her as John came back for me and noticed what I had done. "Liz, let's go!" John said pulling me out of the apartment.

"Can he do that? Completely change his identity; make you the criminal?" John asked Sherlock as we caught up to him. 

"He's got my whole life story. That's what you do when you sell a big lie; you wrap it up in the truth to make it more palatable." Sherlock said. 

"Your word against his." John said. I noticed my knuckles began to swell up from hitting Kitty and I shook my hand out.

"He's been sowing doubt into people's minds for the last twenty-four hours. There's only one thing he needs to do to complete his game, and that's to..." Sherlock began then stopped quickly. He looked down at my hand. "Are you alright?" he asked grabbing it.

"I'm fine, it'll just be a little swollen." I said.

"You hit her?" he asked.

"She deserved it."

"Sherlock?" John asked.

"Something I need to do." Sherlock said. 

"What? Can I help?" John asked.

"No – on my own." Sherlock said.

"I'll come?" I offered and he shook his head.

"No." he said and walked off. I turned to John confused and he shook his head.

"Let's get a cab, I'll take you home." John smiled. I looked after Sherlock who just kept walking, not turning back once.

_____________________________________________________

Liz is a savage.

Comment and vote! :)