23. "Project HOUND."

Sherlock, John, Stapleton and I walked along a hall and she swiped her car to allow us into an area leading to Major Barrymore's office. We walked into the room and Sherlock motioned to the door we just walked through.

"John." Sherlock said.

"Yeah, I'm on it." John said turning to keep an eye on the hall as Stapleton sat down and logged into the computer.

"Project HOUND. Must have read about it and stored it away. An experiment in a CIA facility in Liberty, Indiana." Sherlock said standing behind her. The screen read "Enter Search String" and she looked up at Sherlock. "H, O, U, N, D." he spelled out. She typed it in and a message popped up that read, "NO ACCESS. CIA Classified" and requested an authorization code.

"That's as far as my access goes, I'm afraid." She said.

"Well, there must be an override and password," John said. 

"I imagine so, but that'd be Major Barrymore's." She said. Sherlock walked around Barrymore's office. 

"Password, password, password." He said. "He sat here when he thought it up," Sherlock said looking around. "Describe him to me," Sherlock demanded to her.

"You've seen him." She said. 

"But describe him," Sherlock said.

"Er, he's a bloody martinet, a throw-back, the sort of man they'd have sent into Suez." She said. 

"Good, excellent. Old-fashioned, traditionalist; not the sort that would use his children's names as a password." He motioned to the drawing made by kids. "He loves his job; proud of it and this is work-related, so what's at eye level?" He scanned around the room again. "Books. Jane's Defence Weekly – bound copies. Hannibal; Wellington; Rommel; Churchill's "History of the English-Speaking Peoples" – all four volumes." He said. He looked at the bronze bust of Winston Churchill on the bookcase. "Churchill – well, he's fond of Churchill. Copy of "The Downing Street Years"; one, two, three, four, five separate biographies of Thatcher. Mid 1980s at a guess. Father and son: Barrymore senior. Medals: Distinguished Service Order." Sherlock said.

"That date? I'd say Falklands veteran." John said. 

"Right. So Thatcher's looking a more likely bet than Churchill." Sherlock said. 

"So that's the password?" She asked. 

"No. With a man like Major Barrymore, only first name terms would do." He said as he typed 

Sherlock started to type Margret into the box then backspaced and typed, "Maggie" instead. Looking into the screen and gritting his teeth, he hit enter. The computer beeped and read, "OVERRIDE 300/421 ACCEPTED. Loading ..." I smiled at Sherlock, and he smiled down at me and kissed me. Sherlock then went into full concentration mode reading everything that came up. Clearing the photo from the screen he rearranges the names into another order:

"Leonard Hansen

    Jack O'Mara

      Mary Uslowski

   Rick Nader

Elaine Dyson"

We all stood beside him, and Dr. Stapleton nodded.

"HOUND." She said. 

"Jesus," John muttered.

"Project HOUND: a new deliriant drug which rendered its users incredibly suggestible. They wanted to use it as an anti-personnel weapon to totally disorientate the enemy using fear and stimulus, but they shut it down and hid it away in 1986." Sherlock said.