58. "Morocco."

Sherlock and I walked back to the room where we left John and Mary. As we walked in I heard,

"You could have stayed. You could have talked to me. That's what couples are supposed to do: work things through." John said seeming to be quite upset.
"Yes. Yes, of course." She said, her voice seeming to crack.
"Mary, I may not be a very good man, but I think I'm a bit better than you give me credit for, most of the time." He said.

"All the time. You're always a good man, John. I've never doubted that. You never judge; you never complain. I don't deserve you. I..." She began and stood there, Sherlock went to speak when I put my hand to his chest. "All I ever wanted to do was keep you and Rosie safe, that's all." She said. John held her hand and Sherlock looked at them.
"I will keep you safe." Sherlock said as he stood up. "But it has to be in London. It's my city; I know the turf. Come home and everything will be all right, I promise you." Sherlock said. A red dot appeared on the wall behind John and Mary then moved to John's head.
"Get down!" Sherlock yelled. Mary and John ducked to the floor as Sherlock flipped the table up onto it's side to hide them. Several bullets flew through the room as a man kicked the door open. I saw Mary's gun on the ground and took it as Sherlock put his back against the wall behind us. I stood by the corner of the wall, gun in front of me. I can't kill someone. I don't even know how to properly use this thing.
"Hello again." A man said.
"Ajay?" Mary asked from behind the table.
"Oh, you remember me. I'm touched." He fired back.
"Look, I thought you were dead, believe me, I did.
"I've been looking forward to this for longer than you can imagine.
" I swear to you, I thought you were dead. I thought I was the only one who got out." Mary said. Ajay shot at the table and I felt Sherlock's hand tap my arm. He held his hand out for the gun and I frowned, shaking my head. I felt his hands then move to my waist, keeping a tight grip on me. If anyone dies in this room it should be me. Not Sherlock. Not John. And sure as hell not Mary.
"How did you find us?" Sherlock asked.
"By following you, Sherlock Holmes. I mean, you're clever – you found her – but I found you, so perhaps not so clever. And now here we are, at last." Ajay said. I watched Sherlock look up at the light and I quickly shot at it then moved the gun to Ajay who dropped down to the floor.
"Touché." I heard Ajay's voice.
"Listen: whatever you think you know, we can talk about this. We can work it out." John said.
"She thought I was dead. I might as well have been." Ajay added.
"It was always just the four of us, always, remember?" Mary asked.
"Oh yeah."
"So why d'you want to kill me?"
"D'you know how long they kept me prisoner; what they did to me? They tortured Alex to death. I can still hear the sound of his back breaking. But you, you – where were you?" Ajay asked.
"That day at the embassy, I escaped."
"Oh, yeah."
"But I lost sight of you too, so you explain: where were you?"
"Oh, I got out... for a while. Long enough to hide my memory stick. I didn't want that to fall into their hands. I was loyal, you see; loyal to my friends. But they took me, tortured me. Not for information. Not for anything except fun. Oh, they thought I'd give in, die, but I didn't. I lived, and eventually they forgot about me just rotting in a cell somewhere. Six years they kept me there, until one day I saw my chance. Oh, and I-I made them pay. You know, all the time I was there, I just kept picking up things – little whispers, laughter, gossip: how the clever agents had been betrayed. Brought down by you." Ajay said.
"Me?" Mary asked. I broke cover and stood in front of Ajay, gun in front of me. Sherlock grabbed one from the cabinet next to him and held it to Ajay as well as John who popped out from behind the table with a pistol as well. Mary, cautiously popped up beside him.
"You know I'll kill you too. You know I will, Ajay. It might not even be me who does," Mary said. Ajay kept his eyes trained on mine.
"What, you think I care if I die? I've dreamed of killing you every night for six years... of squeezing the life out of your treacherous, lying throat."

"I swear to you, Ajay." Mary said.
"What did you hear, Ajay? When you were a prisoner, what exactly did you hear?" Sherlock asked.
"What did I hear? Ammo. Every day as they tore into me. Ammo. Ammo. Ammo. Ammo." Ajay repeated, his hands beginning to shake. I was beginning to worry. He was gonna break and shoot me. "We were betrayed!"
"And they said it was her?" Sherlock asked.
"You betrayed us!" Ajay continued.
"They said her name?" Sherlock pushed
"Yeah, they said it was the English woman." A policeman came into the room and shot Ajay, twice. I put my gun down and Mary rushed past me, John following after her.
"No! No!"
Karim came in with a tray of tea and dropped it at the sight.
"The English woman. That's all he heard. Naturally he assumed it was Mary. No, it's not over. Ajay said that they'd been betrayed. The hostage takers knew AGRA were coming. There was only a voice on the phone, remember, and a code word. How's your Latin, brother dear? Amo, amas, amat. Not 'ammo' as in 'ammunition' but 'amo,' meaning ...?" Sherlock hung up and looked at me. He pulled me to his chest and looked over to John and Mary. "I thought he was going to kill you." 

"You didn't seem too concerned." I smirked at him. He frowned and went to speak when I stopped him. "I know, it's not your area." 

__________________________________________________________________

Comment and vote! :)