50. "Exile"

I sat with Mary, and John in the car on the way to a tarmac where Sherlock would soon be taking off. Standing beside the plane as we pulled up, Sherlock, Mycroft and a security guard stood. I sighed as we climbed out and Mary led John and I over to Sherlock.

"You will look after him for me, won't you?" Sherlock asked Mary.
"Oh, don't worry. I'll keep him in trouble." She responded.
"That's my girl." Sherlock smiled at her. She backed up and John looked over at Sherlock.
"Since this is likely to be the last conversation I'll have with John and Liz... would you mind if we took a moment?" Sherlock asked his brother. Mycroft looked over to the security guard and they motioned to the plane and walked off.
"So, here we are." John began.
"William Sherlock Scott Holmes." Sherlock began. I looked at him and furrowed my eyebrows.
"Sorry?" John asked.
"That's the whole of it – if you're looking for baby names." Sherlock said and I laughed, as did John.
"No, we've had a scan. We're pretty sure it's a girl." John said and I smiled at him.
"Oh. Okay." Sherlock smiled.
"Yeah. Actually, I can't think of a single thing to say." John said looking down to me.
"No, neither can I." Sherlock agreed.
"The game is over." John said.
"The game is never over, John... but there may be some new players now. It's okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end." Sherlock said.
"What's that?" John asked.
"It's a story my brother told me when we were kids. The East Wind – this terrifying force that lays waste to all in its path. It seeks out the unworthy... and plucks them from the Earth. That was generally me." Sherlock said.
"Nice!" John responded.
"He was a rubbish big brother." Sherlock smiled.

"So what about you, then? Where are you actually going now?" John asked.
"Oh, some undercover work in Eastern Europe." Sherlock shrugged.
"For how long?" John asked and I peeked up at Sherlock, still not able to meet his eyes.
"Six months, my brother estimates. He's never wrong." Sherlock responded.
"And then what?" John asked. I could feel Sherlock staring into me, though I still didn't look up.
"Who knows?" He shrugged. "John, there's something ... I should say; I-I've meant to say always and then never have. Since it's unlikely we'll ever meet again, I might as well say it now. Sherlock is actually a girl's name." Sherlock said. John turned away and laughed slightly.
"It's not." John sighed.
"It was worth a try."
"We're not naming our daughter after you."
"I think it could work." Sherlock shrugged. Sherlock removed his gloves and held out his hand to John.  "To the very best of times, John." Sherlock said. John took a moment before finally shaking his hand.

"I'll leave you two be." John said looking down at me. He gave my shoulder a squeeze before I finally looked up at Sherlock to see his blue eyes glossy with tears.

"I don't want you to leave," I said, my voice hoarse as I finally let the tears fall down my face.

"C'mere," Sherlock sighed. I stepped forward as he pulled me into his arms.

"Sherlock, come back, please." I begged squeezing his coat in my hands.

"I-I..." he didn't finish because he was being pulled away from me.

"Sherlock!" I yelled pushing Mary and John who tried holding me back. Mary let go instantly, but John still tried to hold me back. "No! John let go, please!" I begged as the guard led Sherlock to the steps of the plane. John sighed and let go of me as I ran after Sherlock the guard backed away as everything suddenly felt as though it were in slow motion. I jumped into Sherlock's arms and he pressed a fiery kiss to my lips. He slowly pulled back and frowned,

"I have to go-,"

"No!" I said and dropped my full body weight to the ground and wrapped my arms and legs around his leg. That might be pathetic of me, but it felt appropriate.

"Let go." Sherlock said quietly.

"I can't."

He reached down and pried my arms and legs off him and I sat there staring at him when I heard John on the phone.
"What's happened?"
"Hello, little brother. How is the exile going?" Mycroft asked approaching us.
"Not very well," Sherlock replied looking down at me.
"Well, I certainly hope you've learned your lesson. As it turns out, you're needed." Mycroft said and I stood quickly.

"Oh, for God's sake. Make up your mind. Who needs me this time?" Sherlock asked.
"England." Mycroft replied.
"But he's dead. I mean, you told me he was dead, Moriarty." I heard Mary ask John loudly.
"Absolutely. He blew his own brains out."
"So how can he be back?"
"Well, if he is... he'd better wrap up warm." John said. "There's an East Wind coming." John commented as Sherlock and I walked back over to them.  Mary and John smiled as us as I quickly wiped away the tears.

"No one will ever speak of what they witnessed just a few minutes ago," I said.

"I thought it was adorable." Sherlock said and I looked up at him with a smirk.

"Shut up," I said quietly.

"I love you," Sherlock said. I looked at him and froze.

"Well, of course. I mean, yeah. I love you too,"I smiled at him as he wrapped his arms around me.

__________________________________________________________

Comment and Vote! :)