88. "Happening."

Jade's POV

I walked home and into the flat to see my dad sitting by himself at the kitchen table. I walked in and he looked up from his microscope.

"You're back late."

"Yeah, Mycroft had a lot to talk about."

"About what?"

"Um."

"Don't lie."

"Mom." I sighed.

"What about her?"

"Just the basics. He had pictures. There was even a few of you two together. At family dinners and there was a few selfies."

"Ah." He hummed standing up.

"Dad... it says she died during a case." I sighed.

"She did."

"Is that why you never talk about it?" I asked sitting down at the table.

"Yeah."

"And that's why we never see her parents?"

"Yep. They blamed me." He answered, not turning to look at me.

"Dad, it wasn't your fault-,"

"I know it wasn't. I just... hate reliving the moment," he answered.

"Where was she buried?"

"Uhm... it's a private matter. She was cremated however,"

"Really?"

"Yep."

"Oh. Well... okay. I took one of the pictures from Mycroft..." I began and slid the picture of all four of us together when Alex and I were not very old. Sherlock held me tight and my mom had Alex in her arms. My dad came over and looked at it,

"Why'd you take it?" he sighed.

"I understand this hurts you, but I would actually like to have some part of my mother, and if it's a picture that's going to have to be enough." I commented.

"She left you something... I was supposed to wait til your birthday, but you're being awful persistent." He sighed walking back to his bedroom. I followed and stood in the doorway looking over at his closet where a red robe stuck out.

"Dad. Whose is this?" I asked pulling at the sleeve.

"It was your mothers." He answered as he rummaged through his practically empty dresser. He pulled out a box and handed it to me.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Why don't you open the box and take a look," he said lowly. I opened the box to see a necklace that had a locket hanging from the sliver chain. I opened the small round locket to see a picture of my mom and dad together on the left and then a picture of my mom holding me on the other side. I smiled at it and looked up at my dad,

"Thank you." I smiled. He nodded and I wrapped my arms around him. He held me tight and I felt him press a kiss to the top of my head.

"You'll want to be getting to bed, won't you?" he asked.

"Dad, I never go to bed this early." I laughed.

"This is the time I send you to your room every night." He began eyeing me carefully.

"Right... yeah. I mean, I go to bed... I just listen to music and watch some TV for a few hours also..." I admitted and he smirked at me.

"Oh I know, just wanted to hear you admit it."

"Dad!" I groaned rolling my eyes. He laughed as he walked down the hall back to the kitchen table. Alex came up the stairs and looked at me.

"Hey lil one." He smirked.

"Just because you were born like five minutes earlier than me doesn't mean I'm the "little" one." I sighed.

"Yes it does." Both my dad and Sherlock responded. I shook my head with a small smirk and put on my necklace as I ran out of the flat and up the stairs to my room.

***********************

After a shower and changing into a new outfit, I walked downstairs to see John carrying in coffee cups in a carrier as well as a few bags of food.

"Uncle John?" I asked helping him grab a bag.

"Oh, morning Jade. Where's your brother?" he asked.

"Who knows." I sighed.

"Well, I got him breakfast. If he doesn't show up your dad can have it." He shrugged.

"Alright. How have you been?" I asked.

"Wonderful. Yourself?"

"Stressed. School's been a pain."

"Ah, boring?"

"Extremely."

"You sound like your father." He shook his head, a smile plastered across his lips.

"Yeah?" I asked and sat there contemplating whether or not my next question would get answered the way I wanted it to. "How well did you know my mother?" I blurted out.

"Very well. Why do you ask?" he asked as he sat at the table with me.

"Well, I've just been thinking about her a lot lately. And dad won't say anything about her. I talked about it with him a little last night, but it was short. I visited Mycroft and he just had a file for her."

"Yeah, well that's how you Holmes are. You don't like to be all touchy-feely. Now, maybe you will be. But your dad and Uncle never were. Sherlock loved your mother very much. I don't think I have ever seen him have so much affection towards one person. He does blame himself for everything, but at the same time he knows it wasn't really his fault. The night she died she was the one who took him on the case. She wanted to spend some time with him, doing what he loved."

"I remember, dad would take me on loads of cases as I grew up... is that why? Was it like some sort of connection he had with me and mom?"

"Probably. He loved hearing what she had to say. You provided a lot of information too when you were younger. You liked to point out the color of their socks, or their nails." John joked.

"Right. I'm sure those facts were extremely important." I laughed.

"Ah, in some cases they can be. Did you ever read my blog post from A Study in Pink?"

"I did actually, yeah." I smiled.

"Exactly. You never know when you're going to be helpful. Don't sell yourself short. What have you been thinking about studying?" John asked, changing the subject. He was really good at it too.

"Oh. I don't know. I mean, I don't want to tell my dad, but I've really been into fashion lately."

"That's a reasonable thing for a young woman to be into. Why wouldn't you tell Sherlock?"

"I'm sure he'll want me to do something with my deduction skills or-,"

"Just because he embraces it doesn't mean you have to. Honestly, I don't think he'd want you to be like him. He was called a freak for years, still is, and I'm sure he would not be able to handle someone saying such things like that to you." He nodded.

"Right." I smiled.

"John!"

I turned to face where my dad's voice rang through the flat. I heard his footsteps rapidly ascending the staircase and John stood abruptly.

"What's going on?"

"Come with me. It's happening."

John looked down at me and excused himself while I stood up watching them both sprint out of 221B. 

_________________________________________________________________

Comment and Vote! We're nearing the end. So crazy! :)