64. "Queen."

"Oh, my God; I love your blog!" I heard a nurse as we walked by.

"You're welcome!" I heard Sherlock answer. John and I exchanged looks.

"Right, here he comes, the internet 'tec!" Culverton said. "You all know Sherlock Holmes!" I watched the children cheer and clap.

"Hello!" Sherlock said.

"Oh, and Doctor Watson, of course. And..." Culverton said looking at me.

"Liz. Friend of Doctor Watson," I said cautiously. Sherlock looked at me, offended by my introduction.

"She's my fiancé," Sherlock said as the children clapped again, not as eager however.

"Mr Holmes. I was wondering – well... we all were, weren't we? – maybe you could tell us about some of your cases." Culverton said.

"No." Sherlock spoke quickly.

"Yes." John said.

"Yes! Absolutely, yes." Sherlock corrected himself. He adjusted his coat before walking further into the room. The kids surrounded him, at attention. "The main feature of interest in the field of criminal investigation is not the sensational aspects of the crime itself, but rather the iron chain of reasoning, from cause to effect, that reveals – step by step – the solution. That's the only truly remarkable aspect of the entire affair. Now, I will share with you the facts and evidence as they were available to me, and in this very room you will all attempt to solve the case of Blessington the Poisoner." Sherlock said. John sighed and mumbled,

"I think you slightly gave away the ending."

"There were five main suspects..." Sherlock went on.

"One of them called Blessington." John added.

"But it's more about how he did it." Sherlock added.

"Poison?" John asked.

"Okay." Sherlock said and the kids giggled.

"Drearcliff House. Remember that one, John?" Sherlock asked. And John sighed looking over at me, not believing this was happening. "One murder, ten suspects." Sherlock said holding up both of his hands.

"Ten, yeah." John agreed.

"All of them guilty."

"Sherlock..." John began.

"Uh, wh-wh-wh-what did you call that one, John? Um, something to do with murder at the zoo."

"Yeah, I called it Murder at the Zoo." John nodded.

"Or-or was it The Case of the Killer Orangutan?" Sherlock asked as everyone got quiet.

"So, any more questions?"

"No."

"I don't think so." The kids answered him.

"No?" Sherlock asked.

"Mr Holmes?" Culverton spoke, but Sherlock went to avoid him,

"Good, then I'll..." he began when he looked at Culverton.

"How do you catch a serial killer?" Culverton asked. Sherlock paused and stared at him for a moment.

"Same way you catch any other killer." Sherlock replied.

"No, but m-most killers kill someone they know. You're looking for a murderer in a tiny social grouping."

"Um, Mr Smith. Um, I'm-I'm just, er, wondering. Maybe this isn't a suitable subject for the children." One of the nurses spoke up.

"Nurse Cornish. How long have you been with us now?" Culverton asked.

"Seven years." She said.

"Seven years." He replied. She smiled and he nodded, "Okay." He said and turned back to me, John, then Sherlock. "Serial killers choose their victims at random. Surely that must make it more difficult?"

"Some of them advertise." Sherlock stated.

"Do they really?"

"Serial killing is an expression of power, ego, a signature in human destruction. Ultimately, for full satisfaction, it requires... sight. Additionally, serial killers are easily profiled. They tend to be social outcasts, educationally sub-normal." Sherlock said.

"No-no-no-no-no-no. You're just talking about the ones you know, the ones you've caught. But hello, dummy, you only catch the dumb ones. Now, imagine if the Queen wanted to kill some people. What would happen then? All that power, all that money. Sweet little government dancing attendance. A whole country just to keep her warm and... and fat. Hm. We all love the Queen, don't we? And I bet she'd love you lot!" Culverton said then looking to the kids.

"Uh, it-it's all right, everyone. I can personally assure you that Sherlock Holmes is not about to arrest the Queen." John smiled to the kids.

"Well, of course not! Not Her Majesty!" Culverton said. Sherlock kept his gaze fixed on Culverton as I leaned against the wall next to the nurse. "Money, power, fame. Some things make you untouchable. God save the Queen! She could open a slaughterhouse and we'd all probably pay the entrance fee!"

"No-one's untouchable." John spoke up.

"No-one?" Culverton asked. Sherlock looked toward John with a slight smile, then to me with the same expression. "Look at you all! So gloomy! Can't you take a joke? The Queen! If the Queen was a serial killer, I'd be the first person she'd tell! We have that kind of friendship! A big round of applause for Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson!" Culverton said and the kids didn't clap like they had when Sherlock first entered. "Come on! Wonderful!" he said smiling at Sherlock. "Thank you so much for coming. Thank you."

Sherlock, John and I followed Culverton down a white colored hall and Sherlock took my hand as we walked.

"Where are we going now?" Sherlock asked.

"I want to show you my favourite room." Culverton responded. Sherlock looked at a door we passed, then looked again, pulling me along with him.

"No, let's go in here." He said pulling the door open so we could all walk in. "So you've had another one of your little meetings." Sherlock said as we walked in. There were little stands where bags should be hooked to beside several chairs around a desk.

"Oh, it's just a monthly top-up. Confession is good for the soul... providing you can delete it." Culverton said. John looked at one of the bags hooked to the stands.

"What's TD12?" he asked.

"It's a memory inhibitor." Sherlock responded.

"Bliss." Culverton said.

"Bliss?" John asked.

"Opt-in ignorance. Makes the world go round." Culverton replied to him.

"Anyone ever 'opt' to remember?" Sherlock asked removing his hand from mine and crossing his arms over his chest.

"Some people take the drip out, yeah. Some people have the same... urges. Huh...come on. Wasting time."

"Indeed. You have – I estimate – twenty minutes left." Sherlock said grabbing my hand once again.

"Sorry?" Culverton asked.

"I sent a text from your phone, remember? It was read almost immediately. Factoring in a degree of shock, an emotional decision and a journey time based on the associated address, I'd say that your life as you know it has twenty minutes left to run." Sherlock said checking his watch. "Well, no, seventeen and a half, to be precise but I rounded up for dramatic effect, so please do show us your favorite room. It'll give you a chance to say... goodbye." Sherlock said.

"Come along." Culverton smiled.

-____________________________________________________________

We're getting to the good stuff haha :) Comment and vote. Thank you all for reading! I appreciate it very much. There's been so many chapters!