36. "Girlfriend?!"

"Sherlock." Mrs. Hudson said as he stood on the couch next to me crossing off a man's picture he had hung on the wall.

"Mm?" Sherlock hummed.

"Talk to John." She said.

"I tried talking to him. He made his position quite clear." Sherlock sighed. John was mad at Sherlock for keeping his "death" from him for the two years. I was mad as well, but didn't want to waste a moment I had with Sherlock.

"What did he say?"

"F*** off."

"Ooh dear!" She said and turned back out of the room. I smiled to myself as Sherlock plopped on the couch next to me. I sat the magazine down I was reading and he rested his head in my lap as I ran my fingers through his hair. The buzz of the bell made Sherlock sit up quickly,

"Client!" he said. He led in a woman and man as Sherlock moved for me to sit in his chair as he led the couple to the "Client Chair" in the room.

"But enough about Professor Presbury. Tell us more about your case, Mr. Harcourt." Sherlock said and I grabbed his arm.

"What do you want me for?"

"You're my new partner,"

"Are you sure?"

"You are my girlfriend..."

"You didn't bother to ask again after you left me for two years..."

"You cheated." he fired back.

We heard the clients clear their throat.

"Do I take notes?" I sighed.

"Sure," he shrugged.

"Well, absolutely no one should have been able to empty that bank account other than myself and Helen."

"Why didn't you assume it was your wife?" Sherlock asked. 

"Because I've always had total faith in her." The man said.

"No – it's because you emptied it. Weight loss, hair dye, Botox; affair." Sherlock said then pulled out a card handing it to the woman. "Lawyer. Next!" Sherlock yelled. I sighed as we had another client come in about a half hour later,

Sherlock sat down next to a woman maybe five years older than me on the sofa. He was holding her hand and patting them while he talked to her kindly,

"And your pen pal's emails just stopped, did they?" he asked her. She nodded as I looked over to the older man who sat on the other side of her.

"And you really thought he was the one, didn't you? The love of your life?" Sherlock asked. The woman cried harder as Sherlock looked at me, stood up and whispered to me, keeping his back to them.

"Stepfather posing as online boyfriend." Sherlock said.

"Figured." I whispered back.

"Really? How so?"

"Look at how nervous he is," I smirked. Sherlock winked at me. "Breaks it off, breaks her heart. She swears off relationships, stays at home – he still has her wage coming in." Sherlock nodded to me then turned around.

"Mr. Windibank, you have been a complete and utter asshole." Sherlock snapped at the man then quickly explained everything opening the door for them to leave.

They left and I looked at Sherlock taking a deep breath.

"This is exhausting. You are amazing," I said to Sherlock standing up and pulling him close.