34. "Engagement."

2 Years Later

I heard the door downstairs and I ran down excitedly.

"Sam- Oh, John." I said. He waved to me slightly and I noticed he grew a mustache. Yikes. That's got to go. Mrs. Hudson came out of her flat.

"I'll make tea." She said. I motioned for John to come up to the flat. He came in to see the living room was pretty well tidied. Everything was still in place, just stacked neatly.

"I did some straightening up. Sam doesn't like-,"

"Sam?" John asked noticing the door to the kitchen was closed.

"Yeah, he's my boyfriend. He comes by every night." I smiled.

"Oh, lovely. I too, have found someone," John began and Mrs. Hudson came in and slammed the small tray of cups onto the living room table. She set down the sugar then looked to John,

"Oh no – you don't take it, do you?" She asked.

"No." he sighed.

"You forget a little thing like that." She added.

"Yes." John said calmly.

"You forget lots of little things, it seems. Not sure about that." Mrs. Hudson added motioning to her upper lip to John. "Ages you." She said.

"Just trying it out." John responded.

"Well, it ages you." She said. John frowned to her as she sighed.

"But just one phone call, John. Just one phone call would have done." Mrs. Hudson said and I frowned.

"I know." John said looking down.

"After all we went through." Mrs. Hudson said and I shifted uncomfortably walking over to Sherlock's chair, which I barely touched.

"Yes. I am sorry." John said.

"Look, I understand how difficult it was for you after... after..." she said and just shook her head peeking at me.

"I just let it slide, Mrs. Hudson. I let it all slide. And it just got harder and harder to pick up the phone somehow. D'you know what I mean?" He asked and we all nodded silently.

"Well, I'll leave you two to your conversation," she frowned as she walked out.

"So, who is she?" I asked John as I handed him a cup of tea. He sat in his usual chair and I went to sit in Sherlock's when I hesitated. I sat down slowly, not grabbing a cup of tea for myself.

"Her name is Mary. Mary Morstan," he said.

"Wonderful!" I smiled.

"Yeah, I'm happy." He said.

"That's great John. We all need it."

"Yeah, how about your Sam guy?"

"Ah yeah-,"

"Liz?" I heard Sam's voice. I smiled at John and stood up quickly.

"That's him," I said. John sat his tea down and stood as well as my boyfriend walked in with a paper bag in his arm.

"Oh, I'm sorry, who's this?" Sam asked me setting the bag on the living room table.

"This is Doctor John Watson, a good friend of mine." I smiled at Sam. He held his hand out for John and they shook hands.

"Nice to meet you," John smiled. Standing next to Sam I was about a half-foot shorter. His brown hair was combed back and his flannel shirt open showing a simple white t-shirt.

"Yeah, I ran and got some food for tonight." Sam said to me.

"Tonight?" John asked looking at me.

"It's our one year anniversary," Sam smiled at John.

"Oh, lovely. Well I better get going," John smiled.

"You don't have to-," I began.

"No, I insist. I'm actually about to go to dinner with Mary. I'm going to ask her to marry me." John smiled.

"Oh my gosh! Really?!" I smiled at him, hugging him again.

"Yep."

"Please, you have to text me what she says! Oh John I'm so happy for you!" I gushed.

"Thanks Liz, have a great night you two. Nice to meet you," John said to Sam. Sam smiled and nodded to him as John left. I turned to Sam and he went to walk into the kitchen when I gripped his arm.

"You know you can't go in there..." I groaned.

"I really would love to know what you're hiding in that kitchen."

"You know what. I haven't opened that side of the apartment since the incident." I lied.

"Right, I'll go down to your flat. See you in... fifteen minutes?" he asked.

"Yeah." I smiled. He leaned down to kiss me and left. I shut the main door to 221B and strolled over to the sliding doors between the living room and kitchen and slid them open to see Sherlock's things all over. I sighed as I unlocked my phone and saw the picture of Sherlock looking through his microscope. I smiled at it and sighed.

"I miss you Sherlock." I said. I looked around the room. Ever since that night he stayed, I never saw him after that. He just completely vanished. My mind was never powerful enough to bring him back. I turned and went down to my flat with Sam figuring I might as well help him cook dinner.

"Oh, you typically stay up there longer," Sam said as he set the small dining table I had in my flat.

"Yeah, I figured I'd help you cook," I shrugged. He smiled at me and I walked over to hug him.

"Are you okay?" he asked and I pulled back seeing Sherlock, not Sam.

"Shit." I said rubbing my eyes.

"What?" Sam asked.

"Nothing. Sorry, seeing John brought back memories." I said.

"Oh, of that freak who used to live here?" he asked.

"Ah- yeah," I never had the courage to tell Sam Sherlock and I had been in a relationship. He thought I kept the flat hardly touched in case Lestrade needed to come by and find something.

"Right, well I wasn't making a whole lot, I did get cheesecake though," he said.

"You did not!" I smiled as he pulled it out of the bag. "YES!" I smiled. He opened a small container and handed it to me along with a fork. "Spoiling dinner now, are we?" I asked with a smirk as I put some in my mouth.

"I guess, just tonight," he said. I put a bigger piece in my mouth when I felt something metallic.

"Ow," I said pulling it out. "Oh my god!" I said seeing the beautiful silver engagement ring in my hand.

"So, Elizabeth... will you marry me?" he smirked.

"I-,"

"Liz!" I turned to the door of my flat to see Sherlock, John behind him with a blonde woman.

_____________________________________________________

OH boy, comment and vote guyssss!! :)