The Beginning of Me

By harpgirl5

~

Growing up, my family was very religious. They belong to the lds community, which isn't exactly known for liking lgbtq+ people. So I never really considered liking girls to be an option. But I had stumbled off the picture perfect path by reading books. You read that right. Books. Books with "smut" in them. Books with passion and love. Books that my mom called wrong. Fast forward to my freshman year of high school. My best friend was a guy named Joe (which is such a common name, it's fine). Joe was a super nice guy.Anyway, I had determined in my head that I was bisexual (that is not my actually sexuality, but that's another story), and I wanted to tell someone. I was a wimp, so I did it over text messages. I eased it into the conversation, asking Joe what he thought of the lgtbq+ community. He responded favorably, so I just up and told him that I didn't just like boys, but I also liked girls. Joe sounded really excited in his response, and told me he was proud of me. He also told me that he needed to tell me something at school, and that I needed to practice out to other people. They didn't respond well. It was a bit of a downer, but Joe gave me a positive response, so I wasn't backing off. Any true friend wouldn't be mean. A true friend would be kind. So it helped me know who truly cared.The next day, Joe and I had the first class together, so he pulled me aside and whispered rather excitedly, "I'm gay". Me, not hearing well from all the other people's loudness said "excuse me, what did you say?" So he repeated it for me.Joe unlocked a whole new world for me. Since then, we've gotten even closer, and I know that we'll always have each others backs.