The Truth About Realization

By F

~

The moment I realized I was bi was sort of a "whoa" thing for me. My parents were open with me about the topic of sexuality and had always encouraged me to accept all people no matter the race, sexuality, ect.

I had grown up not really realizing that there were people that wouldn't accept those who were different. I figured it was just a normal thing. When I was in sixth grade was when I realized that the world was full of hatred. I saw it on tv, in documentaries and shows and movies. I read about the hate. And I was shocked.

I realized around this time that I was bi (I think I'd always known, just had never really realized there was a label to it) when I one day came upon the realization I was totally crushing on this one girl. I thought about the hate and decided to keep quiet about this.

I saw my friends through their processes of discovering their sexualities, helped them. All the while I'd never really admitted to my own- just pondered it when I had the time. My school isn't a not-accepting school- in fact one of the "popular" boys is openly gay and in fact dated another pretty "popular" boy for a bit. It's pretty amazing, huh?

The first time I told someone I wasn't straight was when I was at a sleepover with a few of my friends. I'd accidentally let it slip that a girl in the show we were watching was so freaking cute and my friend (also openly bi, by the way) looks at me and goes, "*insert name*, are you bi?" To which I laughed and said, "of course I am." They had pretty much figured, I wasn't good at keeping things to myself so it was just sort of assumed that I was bi by my friends, but still it felt good to get it off my chest.

The point is- embrace yourself, please. Nothing good comes from shoving down your feelings because when they do come out, they erupt. It won't be the end of the world if you don't make it to be, I promise.