Free in Four

By Quin

~

Hi! I'm Quin, and I'm genderfluid and bisexual. As I'm writing the story, I prefer he/him and they/them pronouns. I'm a freshman in high school, and I am out to a handful of friends.

My sexuality has been easy for me to find out. In late 2017, I figured out my sexuality pretty easily. I knew I was attracted to boys, but for some reason I couldn't help but stare and get distracted by the cheerleaders when they practiced in the morning....Anyways, I'm here to tell the story of how I found out my gender.

For a few years, I've felt constant shifts in my attitude. Sometimes I'll feel feminine, other times masculine, and other times both. However, in eighth grade I was mentally abused by a "friend" I'll call Brin. She turned me against my god, my parents, and myself. I moved away, and identified as straight and cis for the time. However, recently I was helping my mom do chores around the house, such as carrying in groceries and doing the laundry. I felt really masculine when helping her, because I carried a case of water with ease and I felt like I was being chivalrous. And as I did the laundry, I thought to myself "I would be a good husband." Only, I was supposed to be a girl. Now, I knew that I wasn't a transman, because I have and will feel like a girl at times. Over the course of a few days, I found that I often felt like a boy, but would sometimes feel like both a boy and a girl. And that's when I knew that I was genderfluid, with a flowing gender.

At the moment, I'm out to my friends—whose real names will not be named—: Kit, Bee, Phoenix, Carrot, Tal, and Dor. Carrot, Tal, and Kit are all straight and cis but supportive. Bee is bisexual as well, Phoenix is pan, and Dor is an out and open polysexual transman. They've all been very supportive, and Dor convinced me to join GSA, which both he and Bee are in.

I can't come out to my parents, but I'll be free in four years.