~6~

Before I start I just wanted to say a big thank you  for the amazing covers she does for me on all the books of the Mortimer series! They are lovely and I love them so thanks again! Xoxo enjoy!

*edited*

Freyah Kent:

I woke up with the sun on my face. With a stretch and a groan, I rolled out of bed. I rubbed my eyes and ran a hand In my bird's nest on top of my head. I walked into the living room finding it neatly done up. I raised an eyebrow and headed to the kitchen to see my iced coffee done and a sticky note on it.

Hey Foxy! Sorry, I couldn't be there for you when you woke up but I was Called out for a mission early this morning. Don't forget to dress to impress your audition is at 11 am, so be there early and kill em with your vocals!

xoxo Tony xxx

I looked at the time 10:45. Shit! I'm super late!

I chugged down my drink and ran to my small closet/ cupboard chucking clothes on and making myself presentable for my audition. If I fuck this up I'm doomed.

I looked at myself in the mirror. I had put on a simple outfit. With a pair of jean shorts, a white crop top and a red, white and blue checkered shirt and two gold necklaces and my trusty white high top converse.

I grabbed my keys, locked the door and ran to where the club was. I arrived at 11:20 and it turns out it was at the club Tony and I had gone to a few days before. I walked in out of breath.

Well, I'm fashionably late.

The club was dark and it was weird to see it empty without the banging music and all the sweaty bodies. Music was softly playing in the background as a female voice was singing.

"No. Stop. Thank you but leave now." A deep voice rang out stopping everything. The girl on stage ran off in tears.

Poor girl, that was harsh.

I frowned at her and stepped forward attempting to get myself known.

"I'm here for the audition." I enquired, But was rudely ignored but the two men that kept their heads down.

"The auditions are over you are late. That girl was the last one." I scoffed as both men stood up to leave. I went on stage and spoke to the musicians telling them what song I wanted to sing. No way in hell am I gonna let this opportunity slip.

The music started as I grabbed the microphone

"If you're looking for trouble
You came to the right place
If you're looking for trouble
Take a look right at my face
I was born standing up
And talking back" I started walking off stage and taking the place as my own

"My daddy was a green-eyed mountain jack

'Cause I'm evil, my middle name is misery
Well I'm evil, so don't you mess around with me"

Both men came back as I walked back on stage and rocked out with the guitarist.

"I've never looked for trouble
But I've never ran
I don't take no orders
From no kind of man
I'm only made out
Of flesh, blood and bone
But if you're gonna start a rumble
Don't you try it all alone
Because I'm evil, my middle name is misery, whoa
Well I'm evil, so don't you mess around with me I'm evil, evil, evil, as can be
I'm evil, evil, evil, as can be
So don't mess around don't mess around
Don't mess around with meWell I'm evil, I'm evil, I'm evil, I'm evil
So don't mess around, don't mess around with me
So don't mess around with me
Yeah"

I put the mic back on its stand as I heard slow claps resonate.

"You have a set of pipes on you." I stepped down the stage but I still couldn't make out the man that as talking as the stage light was blinding me.

"Well, luckily I sang because if not you would have never have been graced by my voice." I sassed. I deep chuckle erupted from him.

How to make a woman fall on her knees: listen to that laugh.

He walked up to the light. When our eyes met my breath got caught in my throat. It's him. I could never forget those eyes. So green...

"Fire?" He asked stepping closer to me as I took a step back. I flash of something came across his eyes but was quickly covered up again and left behind a cold face. He cleared his throat before putting his hand out for me to shake

"Wolfgang Mortimer." I nodded. He is my new target. I should have known that the name sounded familiar but I was just too engrossed in the moment to put two and two together. I shook his hand back feeling all the sparks from his touch go up my arm.

"Freyah Kent." I nodded back. He drank me in looking up from head to toe. At this moment I regretted wearing shorts and a crop top. His gaze was so intense I jumped from foot to foot. I think he sensed how uneasy I was because he broke the silence and brought his gaze back up to my eyes.

"You have the job, be back tomorrow for a run through how things work out here, you will fill this form out and you will be sent the tracklist of the songs you will have to learn for further shows. You will sing two full nights a week when it will be bar night. And next time don't be late. I hate tardies." I nodded and put my head down feeling the power that radiated off of him. I feel like a child getting told off.

"I will mister Mortimer. What time should I arrive?" I asked through my lashes. Gosh, the effect he had on me. Never have I ever been this submissive towards a man since my father, and I really don't like the feeling.

"Be back early afternoon for the first test sounds and then we will go on from there." I nodded my head and was about to walk out when his voice called me back

"Will I see you dancing tonight Fire?" I saw a sliver of hope twirl in his eyes.

"Perhaps. If the music is good and the mood is right, then you will see me tonight." I gave a small smile and left the way I arrived in total silence and in the shadows.

________________________