~63~

Wolfgang Mortimer:

I was sitting on the plastic chair in the waiting room, my elbows on my knees, head in my hands waiting patiently, my leg bouncing up and down with nerves.

Did I make the right choice?

I love both of them so, so much.

I wish I could have swapped places with them, be the one that dies and save both of them.

"Mr Mortimer?" I raced to the nurse coming from behind the blue doors.

"You can go see her now. We have made arrangements for you." she gently coaxed me to follow her past the blue doors.

I was running my hands nervously up and down my jeans. My father came back to the hospital to bring me a change of clothes after my mother's request to do so. Apparently, I can't stay in an outfit covered in my wife's blood, that's not ethically correct.

Damn my sarcasm is running high. Thanks, mum for that talent.

"We swaddled her and dressed her already. Just enter she is lying in the baby cot." she opened the door for me and I entered the room.

The coldness engulfing me as I stepped into the room.

"I'll leave you to have a moment. When you are done just come back out and I'll lead you to the other room."

The soft click of the door could be heard from behind me. All I could see was that baby swaddled in one of those hospital baby blankets.

My nerves were running sky high. I slowly made my way to the cot and looked down at this small human. I bent down and cradled this child in my arms. She was so small, way too small.

She wasn't breathing. She was cold. No noise coming from her.

I held her close to my chest and cried. Cried the loss of my child, the loss of my first daughter, my little princess, my little love, my sunshine.

"Daddy loves you, princess. Daddy will always love you." I choked out.

I slowly rocked my daughter back and forth, letting the tears roll down my cheeks as I held her.

"My little Willow Clair. Hey, my baby Willow. My girl." I cooed staring down at her.

There was no pink tint to her cheeks, but she was the most beautiful baby ever.

"I love you Willow. I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry, I love you so so much. Daddy loves you so much."

"I wish your mummy could see you and your brothers too. They would have loved to see you. Your big brothers love you so much, they are called Wilder and Woodrow. They waited so much for you to come, yes they did."

I continued talking to her with a bounce in my step. Talking to her was very therapeutic, I just wish things were different. I wish I didn't have to lose my daughter in the process.

"I would have never let you date any guys, No I would not. And I would make sure that all your uncles and your grandpa and your brothers made sure of it too. You would have grown to look exactly like you mummy with her red fire like hair but you would have my green eyes. An absolute beauty which would have made my job from keeping you locked away from guys very hard, very hard my sunshine."

I kissed her forehead one last time before placing her back into the baby cot.

"I love you my sunshine, my little Willow."

This was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. The next thing is telling Freyah that our daughter didn't make it.

---------