~67~

Wilder and Woodrow above.

Freyah Kent:

I was sat on the sofa, lost in my own little world watching my sons play on the floor in front of me. They 'play' noises the only thing lingering in the air with our breathing.

All I could think about was my 'conversation' if you can call it that.

"She was my daughter too."

He was right, she was his daughter too, she was ours. I acted as if she was only mine, that I was the only one suffering from her death, that I was the only one hurt about all this.

I was interrupted in my thoughts by the doorbell ringing and Trousers barking making me jump. I fixed my dress and my hair, looking at myself in the mirror and see that I had a few tears running down my cheeks so I hastily wiped them away before answering the door.

I pulled it open and plastered on the smile I had worked hard on.

"Oh, darling don't pull that smile with me." Everleigh pushed past me and looked around.

Once her eyes fell on my sons her smile widened as she called out to them. They stood up and ran into her arms.

"Shut the door Honey, it's like a million degrees out there." I shut the door as she asked and walked towards her and she kept Woodrow on her hip and walked to the kitchen to put the kettle on.

"Tea?" she asked lifting a mug in my direction.

I nodded absentmindedly and picked Wilder up and placed on the kitchen counter.

"Let's have a little chat, shall we?" Everleigh spoke and indicated for me to take a seat on the bar stool.

She whizzed around the kitchen as if she has always lived here and fixed a snack for the twins.

"So, did you have a talk with my son?"

"I did." I handed over Wilder's drink to him avoiding eye contact with her.

"I don't know how to feel now, he's right, and as much as I hate to admit it, he is." I sighed and slumped a little more in my seat, running my hand in Wilder's hair as he ate.

"No mama." he pushed my hand away with a little pout on his lips.

I smiled at him as he continued to eat, the little beauty spot at the corner of his lip was covered in the yoghurt that he was devouring.

"I know this is a hard time but you are driving yourselves further away from each other than pulling yourselves closer. You need to come out stronger from this, not weaker." she reached over the counter and took my hand in hers.

"Let me tell you a little story." she sighed and came to my side of the kitchen and took the seat next to me.

She took another deep breath and gave me a sad smile.

"After I had Alexander I got pregnant again two years later." she paused and looked at our joint hands and gave them a squeeze.

"I was about at the beginning of my second trimester when I lost the baby."

My heart stopped.

"We were coming up to the tenth year anniversary of Uncle Carter's death. There had been a rumour that Louis, Asher's half-brother, was back and I became paranoid. I got so paranoid that I was stressing constantly. I wasn't eating properly not was I sleeping. Asher was hardly home because he was trying to keep all of us safe. One afternoon I wasn't feeling well so I went to lie down. The littles were out with Annie, Ray and Ryder for the day so that I could rest. Only Damon was home with me because he had just turned 14 and didn't want to be seen with his younger siblings."