48- Detention With Umbridge

Umbridge's lesson was horrible. The fourth year Ravenclaws and Gryffindors all took their seats in her classroom, all holding their breath, waiting to see how awful her class would be.

"Wands away!" Umbridge greeted them.

Everyone unwillingly tucked their wands away. Venus's wand was sparking like mad.

She had never really quite understood her wand. Sometimes it was just an entirely normal wand, other times it cast spells of its own accord, or burnt people trying to use it.

"Miss eh-" Umbridge had approached Venus.

"Black-Weasley." Venus told her.

"Miss Black-Weasley if you would be so kind as to stop your wand sparking and put it away, that would be lovely." Umbridge smiled sweetly.

"Right." Venus shoved the wand away.

"Could everyone please find their copies of Defensive Magical Theory." She made her way back to the front of the class and waved her wand. A piece of chalk began writing on the black board.

"Right, now." Umbridge smiled again, "we will start with chapter one, everyone take notes as we begin!"

The lesson seemed to drag on forever. It was intterupted mid way through by Venus's bag bursting into flames.

Umbridge quickly waves her wand and the fire went out. She turned to Venus, still smiling.

"Miss Black-Weasley I will see you in my office at five o'clock tonight."

"What for?" Venus demanded, "I didn't do anything!"

"You used magic in my classroom," Umbridge's voice was calm.

"I didn't!" Venus narrowed her eyes, "my wand is in my bag, like you told me."

"Now, Miss Black-Weasley you just earnt yourself two nights of detention, don't make there be a third."

Venus grit her teeth, but looked back down at her text book.

********

"I hate her." Mali declared as they left the classroom, "that was the most boring DADA lesson we've ever had!"

"If she's not careful." Venus muttered to Ginny and Mali, "I'm going to tell her just where she can come next full moon."

"Venus!" Ginny warned, "don't joke about that!"

"Who said I was joking?"

********

Venus went to her detention that night feeling absolutely exhausted.

She hadn't slept since she left Gimmauld Place (although she had a nap during Binn's class).

"I'm going to have you writing lines tonight Miss Black-Weasley." Umbridge said primly. She handed Venus a strange quill. "I want you to write, I must not disobey. Can you do that?"

"Won't I need ink?" Venus frowned.

"No, no!" Umbridge laughed slightly.

Venus looked at the parchment and began writing.

A faint burning sensation grew on the back of her hand as she wrote the words again and again. But she ignored it.

Venus's pain threshold was quite high. The scars that she bore on her face and back were proof of that.

But eventually Venus glanced up at her left hand (the one she was not writing with.)

It was bleeding quite badly. The cut that had appeared seemed to form the words "I must not disobey."

Venus looked up at Umbridge who was sipping her tea.

"Is there a problem Miss Black-Weasley?"

"No." Venus looked back down at the parchment.

She continued for hours until eventually Umbridge told her that she had done enough and that she should return the following night.

Venus hurried back to Gryffindor tower and climbed into bed as quickly as she could. She had never felt so exhausted in her life.

Remember to vote, comment and be amazing!
~Em xx