49- Venus' Wand

"Venus what is that on your hand?" Ginny demanded.

Venus had served her second detention the previous night,which had worsened the cut on the back of her hand.

"It's just a scrape from my fun night out." Venus didn't even blink. "You know how long those cuts take to heal."

"Go to Madam Pomfry," Mali advised.

"No, I'll be fine," Venus shrugged, "I've had worse."

********

Quidditch trials on Friday night took a surprising twist which meant that Ron was given the position of Keeper on the team.

"He wasn't terrible I guess." Venus told Mali and Ginny in the common room that night. "

"But he wasn't good?" Mali laughed, she was trying to complete an astronomy essay.

"He wasn't the worst one there." Venus set her quill down on top of her own essay. "This is useless, I can't remember the name of all the planets, I don't know what order they go in and every time I do it I'm always missing one!"

Ginny peered over Venus's shoulder, "Ve, you're missing Venus."

Venus frowned, "oh. Oops."

"I really worry about you sometimes." Ginny laughed.

"Okay what's that star then?" Venus pointed at her star chart.

"That's Sirius." Ginny broke into a fit of giggles.

"I'm so bad at this subject!" Venus declared.

"You should ask Sirius to coach you." Ginny attempted to stop laughing. "Lupin told me he's really good at astronomy."

"Well he would be wouldn't he, his entire bloody family are named after stars and stuff."

"They're your family too." Mali pointed out.

"Okay, what is this? Pick on Venus day?"

"Yes." The two girls replied at the same time.

********

Venus's wand continued to act up in DADA lessons with Umbridge. Venus wasn't sure why. It had never been so strange before.

She had been roaming the library to try and find something that might give her a clue.

Later found her in the Gryffindor common room with a copy of wands and their properties by Enid Greenshore open on her lap.

She was pouring over a page about Thunderbird cores and how the wands would react if there was a danger to their owner around.

"What are you reading?" Mali plonked herself down in a chair opposite her.

"A book about wand lore."

"Why?"

"Because my wand is being strange around Umbridge."

"It's probably worked out that she's a hag or something." Mali shrugged.

"I'll be back." Venus placed the book on the table in front of her.

"Where are you going?" Mali asked as Venus headed out of the common room.

She made her way through the castle towards Professor McGonagall's office. She knocked twice and entered. McGonagall looked up from a pile of essays that she was marking.

"Miss Black-Weasley what are you doing here?" McGonagall frowned.

"I wanted to speak to you."

"About?"

"My wand- and Umbridge." Venus launched into the story of how her wand had been acting up, "I looked it up and it says that Thuderbird cores react if their owner is in danger, so why is it doing it in her class?"

McGonagall sighed, "take a seat." She gestured to the seat across from her.

Venus sat down.

"Venus you must understand that Umbridge poses more of a threat to you and your safety than perhaps anyone in this castle." McGonagall said, "because of who your father is."

"What's my dad got to do with anything?"

"He has everything to do with this." McGonagall said sombrely. "The ministry is still looking for him. Umbridge believes that you know where he is."

"I do." Venus pointed out.

"But she can't know that."

"So is that why my wand is acting up?"

"Only partly." McGonagall pursed her lips, "Professor Umbridge was also a front runner in the antiwerewolf acts that the ministry passed recently. If she were to find out what you are-"

"-We'd have a problem?"

"Exactly." McGonagall nodded, "you must be very careful around her Venus."

Remember to vote, comment and be amazing!
~Em xx