50- Talking To A Fire

A week or so later Venus was one of the last few people in the common room. The only other people being Harry, Ron and Hermione.

Ginny and Mali had headed upstairs leaving Venus on the sofa in front of the fire pouring over an essay for Professor Snape that she had yet to finish.

It was getting very late and Venus began packing up her things to head up to bed.

Something in the fire caught her eye and she knelt down in front of it.

"She's finally lost it." Ron said.

"Shut up Ron." Venus snapped back.

"Well what are you doing on the floor then?"

"I just saw my dad in the fire."

The three of them hurried over and looked at the fire which was now just a normal fire.

"You must've imagined it," Hermione said, "he wouldn't do that, it's far too risky- Sirius?"

The three of them dropped to the floor next to Venus.

"I was starting to think that you lot would go to bed before everyone else disappeared." Sirius's face was grinning up at them from amongst the flames.

"Dad what are you doing?" Venus asked him, "this is so risky, if you were seen-"

"You sound like Molly." He grumbled, "this was the only way I could answer Harry's letter, anyway. We'd better be quick- your scar."

"Dumbledore said last year that it happens when Voldemort is feeling a powerful emotion." Said Harry.

"Well it's bound to hurt more often now he's back, I'm sure it has nothing to do with Umbridge. I know her by reputation and I'm sure she's no death eater."

"She's foul enough to be one." Harry growled. It seemed that Umbridge disliked Harry almost as much has she disliked Venus, he had a week's worth of detention from her the first week back.

Venus had spent quite a lot of time with Umbridge over the past few weeks as her wand was still playing up in the lessons.

"I know she's a nasty piece of work, you should hear some one the things Remus says about her."

"Does Lupin know her?" Harry frowned.

"She's behind the antiwerewolf legislation." Venus said darkly.

Sirius nodded, "makes it near impossible for Remus to get a job."

"What's she got against werewolves?" Hermione asked, sounding slightly angry.

"Scared of them I expect." Sirius eyed Venus warily, "Venus you've got to be careful around her."

"I know." Venus answered, "I spoke to McGonagall already."

"So what are Umbridge's lessons like?" Sirius asked, "is she training you to kill half-breeds?"

"No, were not allowed to use magic at all." Harry grit his teeth.

"That's not a surprise," said Sirius, "our information from inside the ministry is that they don't want you trained in combat."

"Trained in combat!" Harry repeated, "what does Fudge think we're doing, forming some kind of wizard army?"

"That's exactly what he thinks your doing. Fudge thinks Dumbledore is forming his own private army."

"That's the most stupid thing I've heard!" Ron scoffed.

"So we're being prevented from learning to defend ourselves because Fudge is scared we'll use it against the ministry?" Hermione clarified.

"Yep," Sirius said, "Fudge thinks Dumbledore will stop at nothing to seize power. Its only a matter of time before Dumbledore is arrested on some made up charge."

There was a silence in which they digested what they had been told.

"Anyway, there's a full moon next week," Sirius said, "how about I come up and keep you company Venus-"

"NO!" all four of them said at once. There had been an article in the Daily Prophet speculating that Sirius was back in London and that he had been sighted near Kings Cross, which lead them all to believe that someone had recognised Sirius's dog disguise.

"Have you not seen the prophet?" Harry asked incredulously.

"Oh that," said Sirius, "they're always guessing where I am, they don't really have a bloody clue."

"We think they do this time." Harry said, "something Malfoy said on a train, we think his dad recognised you, if Malfoy sees you-"

"Okay, I get it," Sirius snapped, "I just thought you'd want some company."

"I'll be fine dad, really." Venus assured him, "I don't want you back in Azkaban."

"Well then." Said Sirius coolly, "I'll write with a time I can make it back shall I, if you lot can stand to risk it."

There was a pop and Sirius's head vanished.

********

The next morning's prophet revealed that Umbridge had been appointed High Inquisitor of Hogwarts and would be inspecting all of the teachers.

Venus's only lesson that was inspected wasn't until the next week and was History of Magic.

Umbridge seemed to approve of Binn's droning about Goblin riots.

Venus however was preoccupied with her high temperature. The full moon was that night and she wasn't feeling that well.

When Venus's wand shot a bunch of red sparks in Umbridge's face as she leaned over to look at Venus's work, Umbridge was fuming.

"Detention once again Miss Back. Tonight in my office at five." Umbridge scribbled on her clipboard.

Venus's exchanged a look of pure horror with Ginny. There was no way that she could go to the detention.

"What am I supposed to do?" Venus asked Mali and Ginny as they left the room at the end of the lesson. "It's not like I can go to the detention."

Mali shrugged usefully.

"Speak to Dumbledore?" Ginny suggested.

"Have you seen him anywhere recently?" Venus asked. It was true. Dumbledore seemed to have retreated to his office since the beginning of the year and had hardly been seen anywhere.

"McGonagall then."

"I'll go see if she's in her office." Venus sighed and parted with her friends.

The office door was ajar, Venus knocked on it lightly and walked in.

McGonagall sighed at the sight of her, "Miss Black-Weasley what can I do for you this time?"

"I got another detention." Venus said, "tonight."

"I can see why that would be a problem," McGonagall pursed her lips, "I will inform Professor Umbridge that you are serving a detention with me tonight, you will serve hers tomorrow night."

"Thank you Professor." Venus sighed in relief.

"And Venus, try to avoid any further detentions."

"I will do Professor."

Remember to vote, comment and be amazing!
~Em xx