Chapter 18

Saki hid behind a tree as she focused on her target. The lost cat Tora.

' Sasuke. I am at point B.'

She heard Sasuke speak up in her ear piece.

' Sakura. I am at point C.'

Her turn arrived.

' Saki. I am at point D.'

There was silence.

' Naruto. I am at point A. Believe it!'

Naruto finally spoke up.

' You're slow Naruto.'

Kakashi scolded.

' Okay. Squad 7 move! Target has moved!'

Just then there was a rustle of leaves as Tora jumped down from the tree where it had been hiding and jumped among some bushes.

' Over there.'

Sakura stated.

Squad 7 moved quickly and hid themselves behind trees near the target.

' What's your distance from the target?'

Kakashi asked.

' 5 meters. I am ready just give the signal.'

Naruto responded.

' I am ready too.'

Sasuke said.

' So am I.'

Sakura agreed.

' I am too.'

Saki took her stance.

' Okay.'

Kakashi dragged out the 'okay'.

' . . . . . . Now!'

Everyone jumped out from their positions and attacked the cat.

Naruto grabbed it from behind as the cat let out a surprised noise and struggled in his grip.

' I GOT IT. I GOT IT!'

Naruto shouted out. The irritated cat started scratching his face.

' Verify a ribbon in the right ear.'

Kakashi instructed.

' Affirmative. We've got a positive ID.'

Sasuke responded. In the background the cat was beating up Naruto.

' Right. Lost pet Tora captured. Mission accomplished'

Kakashi closed the case.

' CAN WE GET A BETTER MISSION THAN THIS?'

Naruto shouted out real loud. 

It startled everyone including Saki. She had forgotten about this.

' I HATE THISSSS!'

Sakura punched Naruto on the head.

' Shut up Naruto.'

' I AM SORRY SAKURA-CHAN.'

' I said shut up!'

Squad 7 was now in the Hokage tower. Currently the cat lady was squeezing Tora to death.

' Ohhh. My poor little Tora. Mommy was so worried about my little fuzzy kid. Yesss.'

The lady said as she squeezed Tora harder rubbing her face against his. The cat was struggling hard to escape her grip as a river of tears ran down it's face.

' Hahaha. Stupid cat. That stupid cat deserves to be squashed.'

 Naruto said laughing. He was clearly enjoying the cat's miseries.

' No wonder he ran away.'

Sakura whispered as Saki nodded her head in agreement.

' Now then.'

The hokage started speaking looking at a bunch of papers in his hand.

' For Squad 7's next mission we have several available tasks. Among them babysitting the Chief Councilor's three year old, helping his wife to do the shopping, digging up potatoes and-'

He was cut off as Naruto shouted out his disapproval while making a cross sign with his hands.

'  I WANNA GO ON A REAL MISSION! SOMETHING CHALLENGING AND EXCITING. NOT THIS LITTLE KIDS STUFF! COME ON OLD MAN.'

' HOW DARE YOU?'

Iruka asked clearly pissed at Naruto for disrespecting the Hokage.

' YOU ARE JUST A MERE GENIN WITHOUT EXPERIENCE. LIKE EVERYONE YOU START WITH SIMPLE MISSIONS TO DEVELOP YOUR SKILLS AND PROVE YOURSELVES.'

' ARE YOU SERIOUS?'

Naruto decided to fight back.

' BABYSITTING IS NOT A MISSION. IT'S JUST A STUPID ARGHHH!'

Naruto didn't get to complete his sentence and shouted out in pain as Kakashi had just hit him on the head.

' Will you put a lid on it?'

Kakashi asked in his usual calm voice.

' Naruto!'

The Hokage stated in a stern manner.

' It seems that you do not understand the tasks that you have been given.'

Naruto who had been squirming on the ground clutching his head in pain quietened down to listen to the Hokage.

' Listen. Many different kind of requests come into our village everyday from babysitting to assassinations. These requests are carefully recorded and analysed, then ranked A, B, C or D depending on their difficulty. We Ninjas are also ranked by ability, Hokage in the top, Jounin, Chunin and Genin in the bottom. At the highest level we select the missions and assign them to Ninjas who have the appropriate skills and experience. And if the mission is successful we receive a fee that supports our village and our work. Since you are inexperienced Genin just starting down the Shinobi path you are given D level assignments of course.'

The Hokage had taken some time out of his busy schedule to explain all this to Naruto and the said person was just chattering on about ramen.

' Silence!'

The Hokage ordered.

' Oh! Sorry.'

Kakashi stated feeling guilty.

Saki sighed. At least she had listened to the Hokage's information.

Naruto made a displeased sound.

' YOU ALWAYS LECTURE ME LIKE YOU'RE MY GRANDFATHER OR SOMETHING! BUT I AM NOT THE LITTLE KID WHO USED TO PULL PRANKS ALL THE TIME. I AM A NINJA NOW AND I WANT A NINJA MISSION. HMPH.'

With that Naruto turned his head away from the Hokage puffing his cheeks childishly.

The Hokage and Iruka both smiled a proud smile.

' So be it.'

The Hokage said. 

Everyone looked shocked at this except Saki obviously.

' Since you are so determined, I am going to give you a C ranked mission. You will be bodyguards on a journey.'

' Really?'

Naruto asked happily.

' YES! Who are we guarding? A princess or some Minister of Council?'

' Don't be so impatient. I will bring him in now. Send in our visitor!'

The Hokage ordered.

With that the door slowly slid open as Squad 7 turned to look at who it was.

Saki looked at the person standing there. A small smile graced her features as she whispered to herself.

' Our adventure finally begins.'