Chapter 56

Saki stiffly finished her paper, now all she had to do was sit quietly until Naruto's big speech starts. She decided that it was best for her to just not overthink the situation with Gaara. After the exam she would just have to thank him for his help. For now, 45 minutes were almost up and it was quiet nerve racking to wait for this fake 10th question. Saki couldn't help but think that if she were honestly an unknowing young Genin then she would have be experiencing a major mental breakdown right now and the situation afterwards after the announcement of the rules of the last question. . .she didn't even want to think about it at all.

"Ok, and now. . ."

Ibiki's rough voice sounded through the whole classroom.

"We will begin the 10th question. Now . . .before we get to it. . .I'did like to go over the added rules for this question."

Just then Kankuro returned to the classroom with the Observer who had escorted him to the toilet.

"Heh. . ."

Ibiki chuckled.

"Nice timing. . .Was your doll playing beneficial? Just sit down."

He mockingly exposed Kankuro who had disguised Karasu as one of the Observers to help him cheat.

"I'll now explain. . .These are the rules of desperation. . ."

The class was enveloped in an uneasy silence as the explanation began.

"First, for this 10th question. . .you must decide whether you will take it or not."

"Choose?! What happens if we choose not to?!!"

Tenmari questioned, uneasiness was clearly seen on her face.

"If you choose not to, your points will be directly reduced to zero. . .You fail! Along with your two teammates."

Ibiki answered in an unhurried manner.

"What does that mean?!!"

"Then of course we will decide to take the question!!!"

Other participants were also starting to voice their opinion.

"And now the other rule. . ."

Ibiki wasn't worried by them at all.

"If you choose to take it. . .and answer incorrectly. . .that person would lose the right to ever take the Chuunin Selection Exam again."

He dropped a bomb just like that.

Saki had to say, even while knowing the truth she was feeling a little uneasy in this ridiculous situation.

"What kind of stupid rule is that?!! There are guys here who have taken the exam before!!!"

 Kiba accused, his voice containing a mixture of both uneasiness and annoyance.

"Hehe"

Ibiki chuckled yet once again.

"You guys were unlucky. This year it's my rules. But I am giving you a way out. Huh?"

Ibiki said like a cheap villian.

"Those who aren't confident can choose not to take it. . .and try again next year. Now let's begin the 10th question. Those who do not wish to take it raise your hand. Once your number is confirmed, leave."

After that the atmosphere in the room grew heavier than before.

Saki could see everyone's uneasy expressions and could even see some people quivering in their seats. . .even Naruto. She knows that he must be going through such a difficult decision in the current moment but she also knows that he is the same Naruto who becomes the Hokage in the future. Even if she sometimes babied him, he was still someone who believes in themselves and never surrenders to difficult situations.

Saki watched as one by one people raised their hands and left with their teammates. She could only pray that they may get a nicer examiner next time. And just like that more than half of the class became empty. And just as many of the remaining people were starting to crack under the pressure Naruto raised his hands. His raised hand was quivering as he slowly stood up.

Saki watched unblinkingly. She just hoped that this event hadn't been affected by her interference.  She could only pray in her heart that it didn't. She had seen many small changes that had not been intentionally done by her. She really didn't want this to be one of those.

"Don't underestimate me!!! I'll not run!!!"

"Yes!"

Saki unconsciously cheered in a hushed celebration, startling Gaara who had been sitting next her.

Her eyes widened as she realized her actions. Although it was unusual for her to do that, she just couldn't stop herself after all those weird plot changes that she had been experiencing without even doing anything to change them. She looked at Gaara who was looking at her expressionlessly. She gave him an uneasy smile.

"Sorry. . .got a little excited. . ."