Chapter 45

Saki arrived at the place where she had first officially encountered Haku. The spot where he had been picking herbs.

In the letter he had mentioned his deep gratitude and want to thank her in person and requested for her to meet him at this place. Saki was more than willing to meet him, she too had some things that she wanted to say to him.

"Haku!!!"

She called out his name as she looked around to search for his presence.

"I'm here. . . "

A gentle voice answered behind her.

Saki turned around to face him. He was wearing the pink kimono that he had worn that day as he stood there smiling gently at her.

"I am glad that you came here at my request."

He said as he walked towards her.

"I wasn't sure you would come after the things that me and Zabuza-san made you and your loved ones go through."

Saki smiled back at him.

"It's alright. We were still enemies back then. I can understand your viewpoint."

"I am glad."

He answered.

"I. . . wanted to thank you. . . "

He started, looking straight into her eyes.

"Even if we were strangers you did those things for us. You saved both me and Zabuza-san and I am truly grateful for that."

Saki looked back at him.

"I just. . . didn't want anyone to die unnecessarily. . ."

"But why would you do those things for us. I am sure we have never met before."

Haku questioned his face showing his confusion.

"I can't really answer that. . . but just . . . I knew you and Zabuza-san were not bad people."

She responded nervously glancing at her feet.

Just then a crystal alstroemeria flower came into her view.

She looked up to find Haku holding it towards her

"This is for you. It's an alstroemeria. It represents friendship."

He said as he gently took her hand and placed the flower on it.
Saki grasped the flower as she looked at it and smiled.

"Thank you."

"I want you to have it as a token of our beginning friendship. It's not just a normal ice sculpture. It won't melt until you do so yourself. If you're ever in a dangerous situation you can melt it and it will transform into a clone of myself. It may not be able to do much but I can assure you it will help you as much as it can."

"Oh. . ."

Saki said in surprise. She didn't expect to receive such a special gift.

"You've become a very special person to me. A loved one even and I don't want you to come in harm's way. I hope to protect you in the best way that I can."

Haku said as he lifted his hand and patted Saki's head.

"Me and Zabuza-san are going to stay here and help rebuild the village to atone for our sins. And I hope that we may meet again. . . It has been sometime now,  I won't hold you back any longer. And one again thank you Saki-san."

With that he he politely bowed and turned around.

Saki looked at his retreating back and couldn't help but laugh softly. She didn't think that their relationship will become like this. She was really glad that it did though.

She also started heading back as she held the crystal flower close to herself. With this success she was even more excited for the many coming up adventures that were waiting for her in the future.