Santana {Depth}

(Credit: Instagram, larina_art)

This one is a bit different. I wrote this a while ago and never got around to publishing it. Please tell me what you think of it! ~Ghost

You weaved through the crowd of sweaty people as you tried to leave the house. Parties just weren't your thing, but when your friend had asked you to come along, you couldn't say no. This was a horrible idea. Everyone was either drunk or grinding on each other, and you had lost sight of your friend almost immediately. And because you didn't have anyone to talk to, you figured the dock was the best option. Whoever (F/N) was friends with, their parents were absolutely rich. How do you even afford an estate on the beach?

You barely squeezed out of the back door. Once your shoes hit the sand, you ran down to the dock. As you neared the dock, the noise of the party died down. The roar of the ocean was calming and gentle. You couldn't wait to put your feet in the water.

The water damaged dock creaked under your weight, adding to the soft ambiance of the sea. You took your shoes and socks off and placed them next to you. The cool, soothing texture of the water made a shiver run up your spine. You kicked your feet in the water, stirring up some small waves.

You spent the next few minutes enjoying the oceanic atmosphere. That was, until you felt something smooth brush your feet. You pulled your feet out of the water as fast as you could. You looked into the water, trying to find whatever it was that had touched you. Ultimately, you decided that it must have been a fish that had strayed to close to the dock. You place your feet back in the water, albeit a bit wearily.

A few moments pass, and you feel the smooth texture brush past you again. This time, however, the thing took hold of your ankle. You jerk your foot away, but the grip came with you. As you pulled your foot out, you saw a smooth hand attached to you. What had scared you the most, however, was the thin layer of webbing that you saw in between the fingers.

Your throat had tightened in fear, which prevented you from making any noise. You watched in horror as a humanoid figure emerged from the murky depths of the ocean. A mermaid?

As it rose from the water, the being's toned arm came with it. Whatever it was, it was far too masculine to be female. A messy mop of dark orange hair soon came next. You noticed that there were two tiny horns that protruded from the creature's head.Once its head was out of the water, it used its free hand to push the long orange tresses out of the way. By the shape of the face, you could safely assume that he was male.

The thing that stuck out the most was his lovely orange eyes. They glinted gently in the moonlight, as well as the rest of his wet body. Alas, you were too scared to fully appreciate his beauty at the moment.

You kicked wildly at him, trying to get him to let go. You even started to pry his hands away from your ankle. In response, the creature would only tug harder at your leg. As you struggled, he was pulled out of the water further. You ended up pulling the creature on to the dock. Once he hit the wood, he let out a screech. Not a normal screech, it was akin to a dolphin wailing. The sound was so loud that you had to stop your struggle in order to cover your ears.

His grip faltered as he clutched his stomach, making distressed noises. Your motherly instincts kicked in. Ignoring the fact that he had grabbed your ankle, you try your best to soothe the man. You lean over to touch his side, only to be swatted away by him.

"Hey," you say softly, "I'm not gonna hurt you." You lean in once more, this time aiming for his head. He doesn't protest when your fingers make contact with his scalp.

"You're gonna be alright," you soothe, raking your fingers through his wet hair. His distressed groans teeter out into tiny whimpers. You place your hand on his side to try and flip him on his back. It took a few tries, but you got him turned over.

You hadn't noticed it before, but now you could see the his lower half. He really was a mermai- merman. His tail was a deep, muddy green, and it had light brown speckles. His tail fin was slightly frilled. But now was not the time to inspect his tail.

You move your gaze up to his torso. You couldn't help but ogle his well built chest for a moment. He was very muscular, and his sides were lined with thin slits. They started at his sides and went to the middle of his ribs. There were about four on each side. You assumed that they were his gills, as they would flare out occasionally. Something was stuck inside the third gill on his right side. You leaned down to inspect it closer.

A piece of glass was wedged inside of the sensitive organ. How did that happen? You gently place your hand just below the shard, making him flinch.

"What happened here?" you ask, retracting your hand from the gill.

"B-b... B-boat," he croaks out. Boat? A boat had done this? Fucking assholes. Must've been some drunk people throwing glass in the water.

"Uh, um, okay. I'm gonna try to get it out, okay? You'll be fine," you say wearliy.

You place your hand on the shard, unsure of yourself.

"What's your name?" you ask the poor merman. He lets out a series of clicks and trills.

"S-san... Tana?" he says.

"Well, Santana, I have a question for you," you say, gripping the shard.

"What?" he manages.

"What's your favorite color?"

With that, you yank the piece of glass out from his gill. He lets out another dolphin-esque shriek. You pant.

"They say the surprise makes it hurt less. Did, did I get it all?" You ask, feeling around the area. Santana lets a trill out of his mouth.

"Not... much... human speak," he murmurs. Oh, that would explain the responses. Santana props himself on his elbows. He looks at you with his beautiful russet hues.

"Do I need to push you back in?" you offer, making a pushing motion towards the ocean. Santana looks to the sea, and then back to you. You go to touch him, but Santana rolls off the dock and into the sea. Talk about an exit. You scramble to the edge of the dock and look into the water. No sign of him. You lean in further.

You peer into the water for a few more moments before Santana pops back up again. You open your mouth to say something, but Santana juts his arms out at you. You barely had time to process the fact that he had yanked you into the ocean. Your consciousness teeters as you get dragged deeper below the waves.