Book II-Chapter 17, The Reckoning

The Reckoning

Jesus's POV

Mary rose early and made tea.  She had been up when Michael had arrived to find out whom she wished to notify that their meetings were cancelled for a week.  She gave him the names and he had started with Bella.  She thanked him for doing the notifications and he told her he was glad to be of service.  After dressing and praying for cooperation from Denise she had left to go to her cottage.  When she arrived she had knocked on the door and Denise's mother had once again answered.  "Good morning Mary".  "Good morning.  I am sorry to arrive so early but it is important that I speak with Denise". " I actually was expecting you.  Denise was most upset last night and told me what had happened.  I am so sorry Mary.  I do not know what is wrong with her.  For a while she seemed to be doing so well, but every since she heard of Bella and Prince being together she has been acting like a totally different person.  I sincerely hope that Jesus will have mercy on her".  Mary said, "when a woman is thirsty, a good neighbor gives her water to drink, not vinegar.  Jesus is a very good neighbor, friend and brother.  I am certain he will do what is necessary to bring healing to Denise".  Mary hugged Denise's mother and she went to get her.  She knocked on the door and when she got no answer opened it.  Denise was dressed and sitting in a chair looking out of her window.  Good Morning Denise her mother said.  Denise looked at her and for a moment said nothing.  Then she said, "I got up really early and dressed because I had decided to run and hide, but there was no-where for me to go".  "Mary is here to see you".  "I don't want to see her",  Denise said.  "Please make her go away".  "You know that I can't do that Denise, besides she only wants to help you".  Denise stood up and putting her arm around her shoulder, Denise's mother walked her into the living room.  Mary stood up when she saw Denise.  She could not decide what the expression on her face was, fear or defiance or both.  "Good morning Denise.  Jesus has asked to see you first thing this morning.  I will go with you to his cottage".  "Mama don't let them make me go talk to him".  "Denise, you are speaking about the Savior of the World.  Do so with reverence and be obedient to his direction",  her mother said.  "Let us go then", said Mary.  She took Denise's arm gently and with a thought they were gone.  " I pray that Jesus will be merciful" her mother said and slumping into a chair began to weep for her daughter.

Prince and Bella had raced on their bikes down to the lake.  The day was fresh and the air smelled of water and fragrant flowers.  There were a great many of them growing wild around the lake. Like all of the flowers in Paradise they were in vibrant colors and each one was perfect and unique somehow unto itself.  They were truly beautiful but what Bella liked most about them was the fragrance.  They made all of paradise smell like it was wearing a soft, subtle perfume.  Prince had won the race but only by a breath.  They had stopped riding and were sitting balanced on the bikes looking at the lovely view of the lake.  "Bella, what do you say about us riding to the bridge and across and having a picnic lunch on that rise over there", Prince said.  He was pointing at a grassy spot that was on a slight hill on the other side of the lake.  "Sounds great" Bella said.  They rode along in silence each taking in the breath taking beauty of the lake.  Once they got across the bridge, they left their bikes and walked up the hill to the top of it.  Prince thought of a soft blanket, a picnic basket and cheeses and sliced fresh fruit with a variety of crackers and breads also sliced.  Just for fun he added some mini French tarts in lemon and chocolate for dessert.  Two wine glasses and some white grape juice finished his dream lunch.  He spread the blanket and they sat, half reclining and talking while they ate the lovely meal.  "Bella you know so much about me  because of the very public life that I led.  I know very little about your life though.  What was your life like on earth", Prince asked?   Bella said "well first let me say that I really only know who you were as an entertainer as you were very protective of your private life.  The only thing that was incongruent with that was the fact that you allowed all to see the huge number of women that you dated. Other than those kinds of things and of course your marriages and the loss of Amiir,  I knew little about you as a man.  At least until much later in my life...but that is another story for another time.