Book III-Chapter 26, The Creator's Plan

The Creator's Plan

Elaine's POV

Elaine woke up at 6:00 AM without the assistance of Carlos's phone alarm.  Despite the long day filled with surprises yesterday, and maybe because of it, she was feeling fully energized.  She made her morning water and after washing her hands and brushing her teeth, padded into the kitchen to make coffee.  She took her cell phone and it was now 6:20 AM which meant it was already 9:20 AM in Ann Arbor Michigan, where the University of Michigan was located and where she would call momentarily.  Her counselor was named Aaron Lindstrom.  She really needed him to be willing to help her make her plan for early graduation work.  She poured a cup of coffee dressed it, offered a prayer to the Lord asking for his help, and dialed the number to the Theater Arts Counseling Center.  The phone rang asked her to enter the extension, which she did and then the phone rang 4 times.  She was just about to resign herself to calling his Administrative Assistant to leave a message when he answered the phone.

"Aaron Lindstrom",  he said.  "Good morning Mr. Lindstrom.  This is Elaine Grady".  Mr. Lindstrom had over 200 students that he dealt with every term, and sometimes it was hard to remember who was who, but he could hardly forget Elaine Grady.  She was a lovely young woman, tall and lithe, and was a truly promising actress if she wanted to be.  She also sang and danced beautifully, but she had always said she was more interested in the development of plays or films or in directing them than in performing in them.  That is why he had been very shocked to see her performing with that new musical artist The Royal Prince.  She and that roommate of hers,  another really pretty girl, Bella something or other were dancing their hearts out and doing it very well in the clip he had seen on Good Morning America. 

"Good morning Elaine.  How are you""I'm well, but I need your help on something".  She was very direct with him. "Okay he said, tell me"...I want to find out how many classes or credits I would need to carry to graduate this May.  I know all of my pre-requisites are completed so I guess I need to find out what I have left and if I can double up as I want to graduate this spring.  "So do you have some big plans" he asked?  "Not really, I just want to accelerate things a bit for personal reasons".  Clearly he was not going to get anymore information from her so he said" let me take a look and pulled up her profile".  It gave her major, minor, GPA which was a 3.6 on a 4.0 scale and courses taken.  It also provided a list of those that she still had to take to satisfy both her major and minor requirements and a list of electives that would satisfy the rest.  "Well you are are correct, you have satisfied all but one of the courses required for you theater major and that is Script Writing 4  and all requirements are met for your English minor.  To graduate in May you will need to carry 25 credits in September and 23 credits in December or vice versa.  That will get you there".  "That will be about 5 courses per term correct" she asked?  "Yes" he said.  "You will also have to have the recommendation of your Department Head Leila Patterson and of course my own".  "Yes I understood that.  May I count on your recommendation Mr. Lindstrom"?  "Of course" he said.  "You are an outstanding student and really focused.  I know that if this is what you want to do, you will do it successfully".  "Thank you" she said.  "When may I expect to get the letter of recommendation", Elaine asked?  "I will draft it today and have Admin send it to your home address at the close of business today and also send one directly to your file".  "Thank you very much sir.  I really appreciate your support and confidence in me.  May I get a course brochure sent with the letter"?  "Absolutely",  he responded.   "Again my thanks.  Would you be so kind as to transfer me to Mrs, Patterson" Elaine asked?  "Yes, please hold", Mr. Lindstrom said. 

The phone rang and a pleasant voice answered saying " Leila Patterson's office".   "Leila Patterson please", Elaine said.  "May I tell her who is calling"?  "Yes, Elaine Grady, Linda Grady's daughter".  "One moment please", the pleasant voice said.  "Hi Elaine.  How are you"?  "I am well and thank you for taking my call".  "So how are two of my youngest sorority sisters doing?  I caught you and Bella on Good Morning America. You two were fabulous and so was that cutie Royal and the band". " What can I do for you"?  "I need to request a recommendation to carry 23 to 25 hourly credits over the next two terms so that I can graduate in May".  "That is a big load Elaine, let me pull up your profile".  She did and basically said the same things that Mr. Lindstrom did. " I see that Mr. Lindstrom has already approved your request.  Your GPA is excellent...never dropped a course...I see no reason why you cannot take this on.  May I ask why you want to come out a year early"? " I just want to accelerate some things for personal reasons". " I see" Mrs. Patterson said.  "Well I will have the letter of approval drafted and sent directly to your file with a copy going to your home address.  Just bring a copy of it to registration just in case.  See you in a few weeks Elaine.  Tell Bella hi for me.  Bye now".