Another Chance-Book III, Chapter 6, First Look

First Look

Princes POV

It was Prince's graduation day. He had waken up early, showered, had breakfast and picked out the clothes that he would wear today. This generation of graduates would show up in every thing from jeans with holes in them to formal attire. Prince liked natural fibers and so his mom had taken him shopping and since it was May, he had picked out a pair of white silk lined pants with a very serious crease and a deep maroon silk shirt. He would be well matched to Maroon and White Colors of the University of Chicago High School and their caps and gowns. After the graduation ceremonies, Prince and his parents, his sister Torrey and her fiancée Derrick, his best friend Carlos and his parents and his grandparents from both sides would go to brunch at a really cool restaurant in the city called Batter and Berries. The food was great, the service outstanding and the environment eclectic and fun. Later tonight the entire group would be hosted at Carlos's family's restaurant, Comida Hermosa. Prince had gotten a job playing Piano for the summer session of the University Dance Theatre but that would not start for a couple of weeks. His new car should come in this week and if it did, he intended to hang out with his friends until the new job started and enjoy his car. His Mother also said something about him helping with a musical event at the church. All in all, he was looking forward to this summer.

The Family arrived at the auditorium 20 minutes early and Prince got into his cap and gown and reported to his section and got in line. He was graduating with honors and his family was so proud. His dad's Mom had come into town arriving yesterday for the festivities as had his mothers parents from Atlanta. It was good to see them all. His dad made a phone call while the rest of the family went inside saying he would join them in a minute. He came in with a big smile on his face just as Prince was going to get in line. The music started with the School Orchestra playing. The Valedictorian, Patrick Howze was a good friend of Prince's. He played piano but was only interested in the highbrow classical forms of music. He was a real musician though and Prince and he got along real well. He would speak as soon as they had gotten back in their seats after getting their diplomas. A former President of the United States, Jeffrey Lloyd would also address the class.

The names were called alphabetically and Prince was next! Royal Prince Anderson Jr. As he started across the stage the crowd went nuts. He had been a popular student despite his natural shyness. He was smart without arrogance, talented without being haughty and he allowed his music to speak for him on many important things, like tolerance, humility and kindness. Clearly many in his class had received his message. After all of the speeches, the class stood and did the traditional changing of the tassels on their caps and then the toss into the air. They all began to go outside which is when the entire school heard the music. A Black Air Jeep/Fiat 500 X with outrageously good speakers was circling the auditorium and coming in for a landing on the street just in front of the auditorium. Playing loud and proud was Royal Prince singing one of his Father's favorite songs from his ancestor Prince entitled Purple Rain. The car had a huge Maroon bow on the roof and his dad was there when it landed and Mack Windsor got out of the car and gave his dad the keys. More applause from the student body and their parents broke out. Royal Sr. hugged his son, gave him the keys and asked if he wanted to take it for a spin. Prince's best bud was both his classmate and his drummer in the band, Carlos Rodriguez. Carlos jumped into the passenger seat and Prince started the car saying they would see everyone at Batter and Berries. Yes, it was going to be a great summer.

The Summer of Prince's graduation year had gone so fast memories of it were a blur. He had worked with the University Dance Theater as the pianist for their practice sessions and had done so well that at the last minute was asked to play for the actual performance that was the culmination of that summer's choreography. It was quite an honor as the touring troupe of dancers from the University of Chicago was very well respected and a source for professional troupes to recruit from both in Ballet and Contemporary Dance. Prince had to admit that he could not have had a job with better scenery. The women in the troupe were good looking and built! He had heard in one of his namesake's videos a term "hecka fine" which was attributed to one of the best of the original Prince's drummers, who was also one of the best drummers ever, Sheila E. He had used the term so much that it had made a comeback with teens all over Chicago.