Book III-Chapter 16, Storm Clouds Gather

Storm Clouds Gather

Elaine's POV

Carlos hated to see Elaine like this. After the confrontation with Jimmy the previous day, Elaine had shared with Carlos, Prince and Bella that she was scared. Carlos had reassured her that they would not let anything happen to her. He knew she believed him but she was still jumpy. A home was being renovated down the block and now and then you would hear the normal sounds associated with construction, but this morning both times the sounds were heard Elaine jumped while she was putting on her makeup. Carlos gathered her into his arms and said "Elaine, I love you, I will not let anyone hurt you". Elaine looked at Carlos. He was so sincere. Did he realize what he had said? It was the first time he had ever told Elaine that he loved her. He kissed her gently on the lips and she said "I love you too Carlos". Somehow knowing how much he cared not only made her feel better but also strengthened her. The previous evening as they were eating dinner, Elaine had watched Bella as she ate and quietly observed Prince. She always seemed to understand what he was thinking and feeling often without being told and she knew that Bella was concerned about him now. Even she could sense his anger at Jimmy Sanders. They had remained in the kitchen to clean up together and Elaine had told her that the day's events had shook her up and Bella said me too. "But I am more concerned about Prince. He is really upset with the fact that Jimmy had scared them and she did not want him to do anything that would put him at risk". Elaine said she understood.

Storm Clouds Gather

Princes POV

The four of them and their body guards had grabbed a quick breakfast before it was time to go to the rehearsal hall. Andy had flown back to Detroit late yesterday afternoon. While they were cleaning up the kitchen afterwards, Elaine told Bella that Carlos had told her he loved her this morning for the first time. Bella smiled and hugged her and said "I am so happy for you". Elaine glowed. This was so like earth, Bella thought, in that in the midst of horror there was still something beautiful to appreciate. Elaine made up her mind, she was going to do everything she could to join Bella in walking across the stage with her Bachelor's degree in May. She wanted to be able to travel with Carlos within reason and knew her parents would veto it otherwise. With her heart lightened a little Elaine went to gather her things for rehearsal. Bella's were already in her tote by the front door. Prince drove the girls, Carlos and Melvin in the BMW Aircar. To avoid traffic he had taken to the air. Larry, Frank and Phil had taken to the air in the SUV also. They landed and went into the Arista Building, got their badges and went to the 3rd floor. The girls, Prince and Carlos waited by the elevator with Phil while the rehearsal hall and the back hallway was checked. Once cleared they went inside. The costumers arrived within minutes and they tried on their costumes. They fit perfectly. Bella really liked them, but she especially liked the Purple jumpsuit with the Bronze Belt that she would wear for her solo. Prince really had an eye for color and design. Prince would be dressed in a white suit with red trim until When 2 R In Love, for which he would be dressed in Black and Silver like the girls. Bella and Prince would change again for Bella's Eyes . His outfit was a purple suit with a treble and bass in bronze trim on the front of the jacket, with a bronze silk high collar shirt. His shoes would be white for the first outfit, black for the second and purple for the third. He wanted Bella's purple jumpsuit a little looser in the area of the draped pockets over the hips as he wanted the outfit to flow with Bella as she moved. The girls would wear red ballet slippers with the red outfit, Black shoes for the black and silver outfit and Bella would have Purple slippers for her solo. The costumers marked the change and said they would bring it back by the end of the day for a final fitting. The band started to arrive and within 45 minutes the instruments were set up and the band was ready for a sound check. As the band walked through the sound check the girls stepped off the choreography. Prince, always observant, watched the choreography as they played. While they were only blocking it, Prince could tell it was going to be killer and he was very pleased.