promises ~ zach

lmao i know i said i'd start updating on sunday's again with all five done but i really wanted share this one. honestly, just expect the rest of the imagines throughout the week. im so good at consistency. love you!

Everything seemed to be falling apart. Your entire life felt as though it was coming out from under your feet. University was kicking your ass, Zach had been on tour for the past three months and neither of you really had time to contact the other. It had been a week and a half since the last FaceTime call and three days since the last text. You had fallen into a continuous circle of feeling alone and sorry for yourself. You couldn't wait until later that afternoon when you were to meet the boys at the airport. Huffing, you pushed yourself away from your desk and the many textbooks looming over you. You checked the time on your phone, it was 12:30pm and the boys' flight came in at one so you decided now would be a good time to leave. The vibration of your phone in your pocket startled you. It was a message from Zach. "Hey, our plane lands in about 20 minutes. I can't wait to see you <3" you sighed. Things had been different between you two lately. Obviously, calls had become less and less, but even before he left, he seemed distant and acted like you had become less than a priority. You wondered if he really meant what his text said. Was he really looking forward to seeing you again? You got into your car, afraid of what was going to happen once you saw him. The car filled with the sound of "thinking out loud" which made you want to cry. It was the song you and Zach had classified as your own. You mumbled along to the lyrics subconsciously. You had become so used to hearing it. He used to play it for you on his guitar when you were nervous or stressed. Once you reached the airport you got another text. "Plane just landed! Meet us at the gate?" You typed a reply. "Sure thing." First you spotted Jonah, then Jack's curls, then it was Daniel's blonde hair, next Corbyn's thin figure and finally, your boyfriend. His hair was longer than it was last time you saw him in person. He was wearing gray sweatpants and his cookies shirt, which he had you bring him within the first month of tour because he left it at your apartment. Things seemed fine three months ago when you brought it to him. You smiled, a little teary eyed. He noticed you. "Y/n!" He yelled. You waved but didn't move. He made his way through the screaming girls and paparazzi, running towards you. He seemed eager, which lifted your spirits. "Hi." You whispered with a huge smile. He brought you into a tight hug. "Oh my gosh I missed you." He said into your hair. "I missed you too." He pulled back before kissing you. You held onto him tightly, you had forgotten how much you loved him. "Hey, I'm really sorry about not calling or anything recently." He told you. You nodded, tears starting to run down your cheeks. "It's ok." Zach was clearly puzzled. "It's not. You're crying." He said, brushing your tears from your cheeks with his thumb. "It's not just you." He stepped back. "Me?" You shook our head. "C'mon, we'll talk about this later, we should go home." You said as steadily as possible. You could tell he was confused but he agreed. You hugged the other boys before you and Zach went to your car. The car ride was full of Zach telling you all about tour and all the new inside jokes he and the boys had made. "Hey, you ok?" He finally asked you after a few minutes of silence. He had noticed how sad you looked since he first saw you at the airport. "Yeah." You breathed out. He raised an eyebrow. "Um, first of all, I don't believe you, and second, what did you mean,'It's not just me' back there?" You were dreading this conversation. "I dunno, things have just been a mess lately." You tried to play it off. You pulled into the parking garage of the apartment building. "What kind of things?" He questioned as he opened the trunk to get his bags. "All of the things." You said playfully. He knew you didn't want to tell him. "Y/n, baby, please tell me what's wrong." You sighed, turning the key in the lock and opening the door. Tears welled up in your eyes again. He dropped his bags. "Hey, hey, it's ok. Tell me what's up." You pushed away. "It's not ok Zach." He looked taken aback. "What?" You felt so many things. Anger, fear, frustration, sadness. You had been feeling everything for so long and you were about to let it all go. "Zach, I have been here, alone for the past three months ok? I understand you're busy but you have been making me feel like absolute shit lately." You stomped around, running a hand through your hair. You noticed his jaw clench. "Everything has been coming at me." Your voice was shaky, tears threatening to fall. "I know you feel it too, we haven't been talking, things have just felt... different between us." "I don't know what to do anymore, with myself, with you." You hesitated, "with us." He stood up and walked over to you. "I told you, I'm always here for you." You knew you would regret what you were about to say. "Always has seemed like a whole lot of 'when I have the time' Zach. And you never have the time." His jaw slacked, you knew you hurt him. His eyes glossed over but his tone was firm and a little bit angry. "I want to give you all my time, every fucking second I want you to have because you are the best thing to ever happen to me. When you walked into my life I never wanted to walk without you." His fingers went into his hair. Looking you in the eye, he continued. "But everything happened so fast, too fast. Work got so demanding and you had your thing to do. But I need you to understand that even though our lives are crazy and everything seems to be working against us, I love you, holy shit do I love you." You were crying a little bit now. "I love you too" you wrapped your arms around yourself. "but I can't keep waiting Zach, life goes on, with or without you." He threw his head back, hands rubbing over his face. When he looked at you again, you saw the tears falling down his face. His cheeks were a deeper shade of red than usual. You hated this conversation. You loved him with your whole heart and you wanted- no you needed this relationship to work, you needed him. "Y/n, please." His tone held so much desperation, he was so vulnerable. "Please what Zach?" Your voice broke, small sobs shaking your shoulders. "Please, just a little bit longer, it'll get better I promise, I'll get better, we'll fix this." He held your arms desperately. "Don't make promises you can't keep Zach." You whispered.
____________________________________
A/n: hello sunnies! I missed writing wow. and thank you sooooo super much for 1k!!! thank you for all of you who vote too! it lets me know i should keep going :)