drives ~ daniel

It was around 10:30 pm and the sun was just starting to go down. The sky was a faded blue, the sun resting behind some palm trees, setting the clouds ablaze with deep oranges and soft pinks. You stood in the kitchen, staring out the window. Behind you a tired Daniel shuffled into the room. He walked up to you slowly, wrapping his arms around your body. "Baby? I thought you were coming to bed." He said against your shoulder, pressing chaste kisses to the exposed skin on your neck. You continued to look out the window as you answered him. "I was going to, but the sunset is really nice and the air is all warm so I thought I'd just stand here for a bit." You felt Daniel nod against you. "Do you wanna go for a drive? You can sit shotgun and have a nap." "Sure, it'll help me fall asleep anyways. Jet lag sucks." Daniel agreed. He dropped his hands from your body and let you move to the counter where the keys to your jeep laid in a dish. "Let's go." You smiled, holding out your hand for him to take. Daniel grabbed it, moving the throw blanket that covered his shoulders so he could hold it with one hand. "Where do you wanna go?" He asked once you got outside. You disconnected your hands so you could both get into the vehicle. "We could drive down to that really deserted part of the beach?" You suggested. Both of you put on your seatbelts. "That's so far." Daniel whined, falling back into the leather seat. "Then have a nap baby." You smiled over to him, patting his knee. He lifted your hand to his lips and pressed a kiss to your knuckles. "I'll probably be out before we get out of the neighbourhood." He laughed. You started the car and began to back out. You watched from the corner of your eye as Daniel plunged his phone into the aux cord and snuggled back into his seat, covering himself with his blanket. An adoring smile crept onto your lips. Turning your full attention back to the road in front of you, you began to sing along softly to the song Daniel had selected. "Why you gotta be so difficult? Break my heart then want me back." You hummed absentmindedly. Daniel lifted his feet into your lap. You picked up your arms so he could get comfortable before lowering them back down. "You comfy there baby boy?" You asked with a playful tone. "Mhmm." He responded tiredly. You began singing again. Daniel kept his eyes on you, smiling softly. He scanned your face, your gentle features, the curve of your lips and the way you had thrown your hair into a bun, strands falling from the scrunchie that held it in place. He watched as your fingers curled around the steering wheel, the bracelets you wore on your wrist shifting as you moved your hands. He leaned his head back against the cool glass of window. "I love you y/n." He said, closing his eyes. You didn't look at him right away, but a smile spread across your face nonetheless. The corners of your eyes crinkled and the dimple on your cheek was noticeable. "I love you too baby." Soon Daniel's deep, soft breathing, the road outside and the calm music were the only sounds you could hear.

Daniel had woken up when you stopped the vehicle to go to the bathroom. "Where'd you go?" He asked once you came back from the gas station. "I just had to pee. Oh and I got snacks and apple juice." You said, rifflinging through a plastic bag. You handed your boyfriend the juice box. "Thanks, love." He mumbled before re-adjusting himself to kiss your cheek. "Sure thing." You sung as you opened a bag of sweet chilli heat Doritos. Daniel looked around at his surroundings as you pulled away from the gas station. "I thought we were going to the beach. It's in the opposite direction?" You finished chewing the chip you had in your mouth before you spoke. "We were gonna go to the beach but I thought, hey, you're sleeping, we've been to the beach a thousand dimes before, why not go on an adventure?" You said, sweeping the hair from your eyes. "Mmk." Daniel nodded. He placed his feet back in your lap and covered both his legs and yours with the blanket. "Thank you." You giggled as he pat your legs. Once you hit the highway, you rolled down your window, letting the warm summer air fill your Jeep. Daniel began to sing along softly to the song that flowed gently from the speakers. You smiled to yourself, taking a mental note of how beautiful this moment was. "What?" Daniel asked, the smile on his face perfectly mirroring yours. "You havin' a good time?" He smirked. You nodded. "Summer drives with you baby, thats where it's at." You said simply as you turned up the volume a couple notches.
_______________________________________________
A/n: hope you enjoyed! make sure to vote/comment :)