tell me why ~ daniel

this was a request from my lovely friend bessonbear ! hope you like it babes and i'm sorry it took so long <33
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It wasn't something you expected. He came into your apartment as he normally would, although his smile was more faded than usual, and he only kissed your cheek.

"Hey baby." You had beamed, excited to see him for the first time in three days. He barely responded, his eyes falling to the floor and stuttering back up to you. You had grown slightly concerned, thinking he was only overworked or tired.

"Do you wanna watch a movie or something?" You asked, suddenly aware of how heavy the air felt.

Daniel shook his head. "No."

"...okay." You began, thinking of something else the two of you could do together. "Well we could-"

"Y/n, I need to talk to you."

And that was when you noticed it, the agony in his voice. You noticed how drained he looked, how sad.

"I - um, okay."

He sat down on the coffee table, his elbows pressed on his knees and his palms rubbing at his chin. "Y/n, I'm breaking up with you."

You weren't surprised. His demeanor over the past few weeks had changed, and to be honest you had seen it coming. But still, it knocked the wind out of you. It stung.

You tried to hold back your tears, although you were sure he could sense them choking you from the back of your throat. "Wh-why."

He sighed, and you knew he didn't want to tell you, you knew his answer was going to hurt and he knew it would too. You also knew he didn't want to cause you any pain, which caused the remorse tangled into his voice. "I don't love you anymore."

You didn't know what you were really expecting. You thought maybe he was strung too thin between his personal and public life. Maybe he had grown tired of the commitment. You weren't ready for him to tell you that he was tired of you.

He watched you digest his words, watch you try and figure out just exactly when he stopped loving you. "I'm sorry y/n." Daniel barely whispered, his voice watery.

You passed a hand under your nose, sniffling quietly before you said anything. "It's okay, I guess people just...fall out of love sometimes." A sob nearly shook your entire body, but you refused to let it past, you didn't want him to see you so broken. Nonetheless, a tear happened to slip from your eye against your will, "I think you should go."

Daniel looked at you for a second, his breath shaky and uneven. "Yeah, okay." He stopped once he got to the door, just watching you with your eyes closed, biting down so hard on your bottom lip he was surprised it hadn't started to bleed. He didn't want to leave you, he didn't want to be the reason you were crying, he wanted to tell you he really did love you, that he took it all back, he wanted to say it wasn't true. But he didn't know if it wasn't.

You cried for a long time, missed him a lot and over thought even more. Nothing made sense, and everything reminded you of him. After a while you got angry. You threw his things at the walls, screamed at the pictures of him you had yet to take off your mirror and made sure to delete everyone of his songs from your playlists. It hurt being told someone didn't love you anymore, especially when you knew you would love them forever. It really fucking hurt.

You had gotten so fed up with how you were feeling, all the angst and the anger. You were tired of being sad and tired of hurting. So you took it upon yourself to gain at least a little bit of closure, along with some sanity. You drove out to the outskirts of Los Angeles, parking your car outside the little pocket of sand. Grabbing a few things from the backseat, you headed beyond the rocks shielding the small area of beach from the outside world.

Daneil used to take you here all the time, he told you he had never shown this place to anyone else. It had just been your little secret. You weren't 100% sure what you were expecting to happen once you got there, maybe the exact moment when Daniel fell out of love would just instantly come to mind or you would finally be done grieving. You hadn't the slightest clue.

Pulling off your shirt and shorts, you stood on the sand in your bathing suit, staring out at the ocean. You slowly walked into the water, hating that you could remember the feeling of his hand wrapped around yours. You hated that you could remember the sound of his voice whispering in your ear about some stupid joke one of the boys had told him. Hated that the smell of his cologne lingered everywhere you went.

The cool feeling of the water hitting your feet startled you, jolting your eyes back open. Once the water hit your knees you sat down, letting the waves lap over your skin and wash away the last few days of pain.

"Y/n?"

You spun around quickly, meeting eyes with the owner of the all too familiar voice. "Daniel."

"Ba-" He stopped himself, his eyes locking with yours as he cleared his throat. "Um, what are you doing here." He was getting closer to you, his steps causing ripples in the water.

You didn't answer until he sat down next to you, "looking for closure, I guess."

Daniel sighed, his emotions mixing around inside of him as he swallowed. "Oh."

A long stretch of silence was strung between the two of you, breathing and waves were the only sounds either of you cared to hear right then. You pondered over how to say what you wanted to say, a part of you wasn't sure if you really wanted answers to your questions. But you asked him anyway.

"Why?"

He knew exactly what you were asking.

"Was it because I always texted you at 10 in the morning when you were on tour, because it was the only time I knew for sure you were awake?"

Of course it wasn't that. He waited for that text every day, he longed to talk to you.

"Or the way I would always put my cold feet on your legs when we sat on the couch?"

It wasn't that either, he had gotten used to it and he knew how happy and warm it made you. So he never said anything, he loved the way you wanted to be close to him.

"Was it how I always wanted to go on adventures at random hours of the night when I knew you were tired and wanted nothing other than to sleep?"

Nope. Sure, he was tired, but with you he'd do anything. Whenever you wanted to do it.

"Was it how insecure I would get after people would comment rude things under my posts? Even though you told me not to let it get to me?"

Absolutely not. People were relentless, and you were stronger than you let yourself believe. Every time you would read another comment, tears in your eyes all he had wanted to do was kiss you until you believed how much he loved you.

You were crying now, Daniel was not too far behind you in that sense. He was just sitting there, listening to you come up with reasons why he could possibly stop loving you. And that's when it hit him, full force like a swinging bat.

He never stopped.

"Was it-"

"No." His voice was so small.

"I love you y/n. I never stopped. I love you more than physically possible to explain. And that really fucking scares me."

Your stare on him failed to falter.

"I thought I fell out of love, because that was the only way I could identify what I was feeling and I-" He closed his eyes tightly, and you swore you saw a tear slip through his lashes. "I'm sorry I made you think you were worth anything less than you are. You have every piece of my heart baby, please let me give it back to you."

Daniel's eyes were pleading and overwhelmingly deep.

"I love you."

Tears slid down your cheeks, but you smiled, because you believed him.

__________________________________________
a/n: lmao sorry i fell off the face of the earth AGAIN school it almost out tho, so i won't be dead for much longer:)) much love