bookstore ~ jonah

i'm back back back again
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The sound of footsteps coming into the isle went unheard to you. You didn't notice the doc martins that stood next to the pile of fiction to your left until you closed the book you were currently reading, putting it down and grabbing another one.

Your eyes followed up to his, he was smiling.

"What are you reading?" He asked gently.

You didn't say anything at first, his emerald eyes locking with yours.

"Wha- what?" You stuttered, coming back to reality.

He chuckled softly, his head dipping for a second before he looked back to you. "What are you reading?" He crouched down so he was eye level with you. "You got quite the pile there."

It was your turn to laugh, putting down the book you had just picked up. "Turtles all the way down."

"John Green." You both said at the same time.

"Have you read it?" You asked with a smile, intrigued by the handsome stranger.

"Yeah, I really liked it too. Made my friend Corbyn read it after." He repositioned himself so he was now sitting cross legged in front of you.

"Did he like it?" You wondered.

"I think it's still on his nightstand honestly." He chuckled, his eyes fixing themselves on yours.

It stayed like that for a moment, the two of you just looking in the others eyes. He cleared his throat, running a hand through his messy brown hair before putting out for you. "I'm Jonah by the way."

You took his hand, shaking it with a smile on your face. "Y/n."

His grin widened, your fingers falling from each other as he reached for a book from one of the piles surrounding you. "So what kinda books are you into?"

You shrugged, glancing around. "I don't even know. I kind of read everything I guess."

"Well, what are some of your favourites?"

You thought for a moment, biting into your bottom lip as you recalled what you've read in the past. "Umm, actually The Sun Is Also A Star by Nicola Yoon is probably the best book I've ever read."

Jonah nodded, a little smile making its way to his lips as he watched you talk. "I've heard her work is really good."

You smiled at him this time, getting more excited as you continued, "It really is, the way she uses words is different than anything else."

"Hey, uh, why don't we get off this dusty floor and get a cup of coffee? We could keep talking about books and stuff." He asked almost shyly, rubbing the back of his neck with his hand.

A deep blush came over your cheeks, you could feel it instantly. "You know, that would be nice."

He stood up, offering you his hand. You kept smiling as you accepted it, stumbling into him a little bit once you were back on your feet. He helped you pick up and place the books back on the shelves before the two of you made your way to the exit. He stepped in front of you, opening the door.

"Ladies first." He grinned.

"Oh, what a gentleman." You smirked as you walked through the door.

He took you to a quaint coffee shop not to far from the book store and convinced you to order a slice of their pumpkin bread.

"It's the best, I'm telling you." And he was right, it was the best.

Jonah watched as you sipped at your latte, making a mental note to memorize your drink order.

"Jonah! There you are." A boy with brown, fluffy hair came into the cafe and up to the table the two of you sat at.

Jonah looked away from you, the smile from the joke you had just made still lingering on his face. "Oh hey Zach, uh, this is y/n."

"Hi." Zach smiled politely before turning back to Jonah. "I hate to break this up," He sated, pointing between the two of you, "but we gotta go." Zach pointed out of the cafe with his thumb.

Immediately a look of guilt flooded into Jonah's features as he looked back to you, "Oh my god I can't believe I forgot. Y/n I'm really sorry, I have to go."

You shook your head, brushing him off.

"Could I uh, grab your number though? I'd love to hang out with you again." A shy expression cast over him, his friend had a smug grin plastered on his lips.

You nodded, bring your lip. "Yeah, yeah for sure."
__________________________________________
a/n: {03/18/20, 7:51 pm} happy corona season everyone. i sincerely hope you are all at home, safe and healthy. they shut down schools in alberta until september, so i may have to do grade 11 all over again, which is fine (it's not, i'm fuming) anyways i've been home for 3 days and i've already lost my mind. I LOVE YOU ALL.