-Chapter 17

**Trigger warning. This chapter contains mentions of violence towards the main character and a flashback scene briefly I am correct. This has an important reveal at the end of the chapter so you can just skip to the later half of the chapter if you want. Thank you**

-Chapter 17: Fire Up

Aruto and Izu push the crate towards the mansion, which is probably going to look amazing. I used to live in a big house that was kind of like a mansion, but it wasn't one. I was going to help them push it, but I am unable to due to reasons.

"Your favorite manga artist is Choichiro Ishizumi, correct?" I ask as they stop pushing. I stop and look around. "This is one nice big gate."

"Yes, he's my favorite one. Perfuman Tsurugi is a great manga that you should check out!" Aruto answers, laughing a little. "I think you would like it a lot, Mari. You seem like the type who appreciates the fine things in life." Oh, I so do.

I hold in a giggle, not wanting my chest to ache any more than it already is. "That sounds like perfume to me," I tell him. I would laugh if I could.

"It kind of does now that you mention it," he replies, laughing a bit more. "The artist wants a new HumaGear to help him with illustrations."

"Oh?" HumaGears are capable of a lot of things. "HumaGears are so amazing aren't they? They're able to do a lot of things."

I wonder what Jin and Horobi are able to do if. Well, if they are HumaGears. I'm leaning towards that Jin is one for sure and Horobi is just trying to keep me guessing. He doesn't want me to enter his personal bubble.

"HumaGears are capable of a lot of things since they're meant to work alongside humans. You know, compliment us? Kind of like how Kairi is meant to assist you with your job."

I look at Aruto and nod. "She's good at a lot of things, honestly." She is mostly there to be like a sister to me so I don't feel so alone.

"I've learned a lot of things about you lately, Mari. It makes me happy to get to know someone like you very well." Aruto grins. "How about we get inside?"

"Oh, really?" He has? Like what? "Yeah, let's get inside before we end up standing out here all day long."

~.~

I look around the room as a few HumaGears work at the speed of light, drawing for this manga artist guy. Is it okay to work them like this? HumaGears have limits like humans. I know that because Kairi has her limits.

"Is it okay to work them this hard, Aruto?" I look over at Izu. I should have asked her, but Aruto will do.

"I'm not so sure that one is supposed to make them work this hard. It feels wrong," Aruto answers. "They might run out of their battery if they keep going on like this. I'm curious about why they're working this hard in the first place. It is like they're meant to do all the work!"

"Yeah, it does seem like that." I don't get how someone could work them like this. It is pretty much like making them into a slave.

This is the most horrible thing I've seen in a bit. Well, besides Allen. HumaGears should be allowed to do what they want to do in life as long as it isn't harming others. They have rights. Well, limited rights.

"How can someone do that?" I would cover my mouth right now, but it hurts to move too much. I'm hardly getting by.

"I'm not so sure right now. It makes no sense to me." Aruto seems upset. "This is cruel. Only someone with no heart could do this to them."

"I'm guessing that person would have to be plain cruel," I mutter out. Kind of like Horobi. He's plain cruel for wanting to destroy all of humanity. I'm not so sure if I think he is pure evil yet.