-Chapter 158

-Chapter 158: Your Nightmare's Coming to Life

I can't believe that I came back to Daybreak Town despite telling everyone else around me earlier that I wouldn't. There is a reason that I lied to them and that is because it is time for me to do what I need to do. I have to turn down the Ark to it's face. The Ark has to know that I do not intend to join them and their little party to end the world as I know it.

"It seems that you have made a choice, Mari," the Ark's voice says and I look over as Horobi's body approaches me. So, the Ark is using Horobi to talk to me now? Interesting.

"Yes, I have made a choice and that choice is to turn down your offer to join you. I do not want to be part of Metsuboujinrai, Ark." I feel bad for turning down a chance to be with Horobi, but it isn't like I feel that bad about it. "Now, let go of Horobi."

The Arkrobi stares at me with an empty expression. "No, I cannot do that. Horobi is following my will and wants me to control his body."

"He may be willingly following you, but that doesn't mean he always wants you in his body. You shouldn't always be inside of him," I state. That came out sort of wrong didn't it? "Just let him go!"

"I cannot let him go. He is my loyal servant."

"You see him as a tool." I am not going to hide my thoughts about what the Ark thinks of Horobi and the others of Metsuboujinrai. The Ark only sees them as a way to do it's dirty work. 

"Aren't you a tool to those around you? Stopping things from hurting humanity as a weapon?" the Arkrobi counters, making a good point with it's question.

I look away and swallow a bit. "You're right," I say, nodding. "I am a tool to those around me, but that isn't always a bad thing. Being a tool can be a good thing, but not when it is someone who is your tool."

I've been used and abused. I may not always get the respect I deserve for doing my job, but that doesn't matter. What matters is that the world is going to be a safe place once I am done doing my freaking job. That is what truly matters along with my plan to save Horobi.

"You're looking on the bright side. How human."

"I wouldn't have it any other way." I make mistakes, but I have to learn to live with those mistakes. "I'm not perfect and neither are you."

"Do you think your feelings for Horobi are stronger than anything else? Do you think that will be enough to save him from me?"

"I hope that you don't get kidnapped again because I didn't like revealing myself to him. However, I had no choice. And what was that about in your sketchbook?" Oh, he saw that?

"Oh, that? I drew you getting hit by a car," I lie. "It isn't anything you should worry about."

"A car?"

I nod. "Yeah. You ticked me off that day," I tell him, keeping up with the lie. "I draw angry, nasty things when mad."

"If anyone gets hit by a car and dies here, it'll be you."

He's right. I would die way before he does. He's a strong, sturdy male who is potentially a robot. Not like he'll let me know, but I can assume it all I want. I doubt he ever sleeps. I never see him do that.

"Do you want me dead?"

"It depends on the situation. If you betray us, sure. If you don't, I'll worry about your time to die a different day. It all depends on where things are supposed to end up." What is that even supposed to mean?

I wonder what goes on in his head that makes him think that all humans should die. Maybe, if he is a robot, the gears in his head are bad and not turning properly. Does he even have gears? I have no clue.