-Chapter 85

-Chapter 85: A Reflection of the Worst of Me

Humans must be punished for their sins.

I wince as Gai touches my hand and my head throbs a bit. "Ouch..." What was that going through my head a moment ago? 

Gai removes the gauze from my injured hand and part of my wrist and I stare at the wounds left by the glass. I didn't expect it to shatter the way it did. I'm lucky it didn't do anything worse than that. It could have gotten very serious if I hit it another way. I hate seeing those stitches sit there, but it is what it is.

I keep thinking about what was going through my mind when I decided to shatter that mirror. Human malice...that came off so...robotic. But I'm human. Why would I want to punish the humans around me? Why would I want to do that to hurt Gai?

"It won't scar where you got cut at," he tells me, like it matters. "The doctor at the hospital is one thousand percent sure that you will heal up just fine. It'll have minor red marks where you got cut at for a bit, but they will fade quickly. If they do not, I will look into a plastic surgeon to look into options to give you a better look for your hand and wrist." He's being awfully kind for someone who has no real love for me in his heart.

"I don't care if I get scarred." It is better than being stuck with him. I rather have a destroyed face than be married to him any longer. "You...you..." Why do I want to talk about how humans are so awful right now? 

He sighs a bit and puts the gauze to the side, putting it away from him. He reaches into his pocket inside his jacket and he pulls out a picture, turning it to me. My eyes go to his face as he holds it out to me. 

"Look at it," he orders and my eyes go down to the picture he wants me to stare at.

I stare at the picture, my eyes going to a woman next to Gai in it, and I gasp. That face...impossible! How can he have this kind of picture? 

"You knew Elise personally?" I know it isn't me since I never took a picture with him exactly. I'm sure one does exist though, since people snapped pictures at Allen's dinner parties. "How?" 

"I knew her personally because I had an affair with Elise," Gai tells me, admitting to his deed with a smile. " You're the first person I have ever told about this. She got tired of being his wife at some point and began something with me. I was going to take it to my grave, but I have decided to not do so." Take it to his grave my ass! He's doing this for his own gain.

He had an affair with Elise? Why? Why would he do that? To his own business partner at that time? It makes no sense for Gai to go out and have an affair with someone unless he could gain something from it. Did she have something he wanted? 

My eyes go back down the picture of him with Elise, which makes them look like some hot shot couple. "You knew each other?" I ask.

How long ago was that? I am quite some years younger than she was, but I had her face and looked a bit older than my age. Not that she looked old or anything, but everyone always thought I was more mature than my age. I was considered beautiful and cold in school since I was so timid and afraid to bother anyone.  

"You were probably in junior high when I met Elise. She was beautiful enough to stand beside me and fit my image. Of course, Allen never knew the looks she gave me," he says, remembering his relationship with Elise. "If you are wondering if it influenced me to have you, it didn't. I only decided to have you after you left your husband and came here." What is the truth?

I look away, my skin burning where Gai has touched me before. "You changed my face. Why?" Why would he do that if he was with her at some point? Wouldn't he want to see her face again?