-Chapter 103

-Chapter 103: I Made Your Words My Castle

I close the door to my house and look down at my phone, which probably has a tracking app on it, and sigh. I place it into my pocket and turn, bumping into something a bit. Ow...

I lift my head up a bit and my eyes land on a familiar head of slightly fluffy hair and a positive smile. Aruto? What is he doing here at my home with Gai?

"Aruto..." I haven't seen him since that day. I would rub my arm right now, but I'm too busy staring at him to care about the pain. 

"I didn't mean to hurt you. I wasn't myself," he says, dropping his smile and looking a bit sad. "I thought I killed you by accident."

It must have been hard for him to think that he killed me. I doubt Gai allowed him any updates on my condition. I am sure that Yua gave Isamu updates, but I can't be certain. It is also possible that they got updates from someone else like Abyss. Abyss would know my condition because Gai definitely does communicate with her due to her being one of his 'tools' to use. 

"I am the one who put myself in your way when you were like that." I look down and swallow a bit. "I didn't want him to die like that. He has to pay for his sins like the rest of us have to and I wanted to see that happen. I still want that to happen." Nothing changes my mind on having him pay for his crimes. Gai will go down. 

Gai has gotten away with everything he has done. I know most people wonder how that is possible, but I know the truth about it. The more money and power someone has, the harder it is to bring them down. It isn't impossible to, but it is quite hard. You have to have someone who wants to bring them down and has that power to as well.

"I know."

I bring my eyes back up to his face and force a smile on my face. "I...I am happy that we're alright with each other. I was worried about you." 

"I know, Mari," he responds. "I know."

"Yeah..." I don't know what else to say right now. There is nothing left to talk about other than my horrible marriage. 

"I am sorry that you're still married to him. I will end your marriage the moment I can," Aruto tells me, promising me to end this one day. "I hate seeing you as his wife. You don't look happy at all when you're with him." 

"I..." I wish I could convince him that everything is well, but he knows me better than that.

"Isamu told me that he stopped you at the airport. You were trying to leave Japan, right?"

I look down and nod. "I was trying to go, yes." 

I'm afraid that if I stay here, that everything I love with be crushed by my own two hands. The Ark will use me for what it wants done. Horobi is inactive and I don't think Naki is really working for it. Naki doesn't seem to be doing the Ark's bidding.

"I understand why you were trying to leave. You wanted to be safe and away from the dangers here. You have gotten tangled into a huge web because of your previous face."

"I am sorry that I did you wrong, Aruto." I have done horrible things to him just by making stupid mistakes that I wish I could take back. "I am truly sorry..."

He places his hands on my shoulders gently. "Mari, you don't have to apologize to me at all. You did what you thought you had to do to protect what you love. You didn't do everything because you were selfish, okay? Besides, it is fine to be a bit selfish sometimes."

"All I do is hurt you..." I want to make him happy, but I can't be the one to do that and it hurts so bad.

"Mari, no," Aruto says and I look him in the eyes. "You don't have to be sad because of anything you have done, alright? You made mistakes and you know that you did. That is fine."