It Was- (Sakata Gintoki)

How did Gintoki become a JUMP addict?

Before meeting Shoyo and (Y/N), Gintoki thought that his life could only be bitter, sad and depressing. He never knew what happiness was, he never learned how to smile, and worst of all. He never knew how to love, or what it feels to be loved.

He thought his life would only be like that forever, that nothing would ever change. That all he could do, was accept his fate and wallow in despair. But it all slowly changed the fateful day he met Shoyo, the man whom he owed his life to. And (Y/N), the only woman he would ever love in his whole life.

Those two were responsible for turning him into the person he was today. They were the one who gave him what he never had but didn't know he needed— A reason for living.

After Shoyo had led Gintoki to his home, where he also met (Y/N). Gintoki barely interacted with them, all he ever did was nod or shake his head. No words were spoken, no emotion was given.

His life was still as he thought it to be. That is, until (Y/N) had broken down his walls with her unending perseverance. She was full of hope, kindness and sincerity that even Gintoki couldn't help but be pulled in.

"Hey..." (Y/N) knocked on the door where Gintoki was sitting, hugging the sword to his chest. He only gave her a slight nod as she entered and took the spot next to him.

"This is called JUMP. It's my favourite book! You can learn all sorts of stuff from it, and the stories here are so good they can make you happy! I thought you'd...be happy if you read it." She looked dowh shyly. Ever since she heard about Gintoki's life from Shoyo the girl felt bad for him.

She wanted to do something for him so that he'd finally be happy. She made sure she would make him feel loved. So thinking JUMP could brighten up his life, and finally put a smile on his face, she gathered her courage to talk to him.

"I...just wanted to give you this. I figured you might find it interesting as much as I do. Sensei bought it for me a while back but I don't have any problems giving it to you." She grins softly as she handed the JUMP to Gintoki.

Gintoki gave it a curious stare, he opened it but everything he saw was alien. He didn't understand anything. (Y/N) gasped when she realized so, then she grabbed the book again.

"I can read it for you if you life! Sensei's gonna start a school anyways so you'll be able to learn how to read soon!" She cheers happily, Gintoki's eyes widened at her. She then opened the book and started reading it out loud.

That was how Gintoki fell in love with JUMP— Well, actually back then, it wasn't JUMP that he actually liked. It was the sound of her voice and the smile on her face whenever she read it to him.

How did Gintoki become addicted to sweets?

(Y/N) was glad that after all her advances, Gintoki was slowly warming up to them. He started talking, and smiling a bit around Shoyo and (Y/N).

He became even more lively and casual when Shoka Sonjuku had gathered students. Gintoki finally had smiled, he broke away from his painful past and was facing tomorrow with a smile on his face.

"(Y/N), Have you seen Shoyo anywhere?" Gintoki calls out to the young (H/C) haired girl who was hanging out their laundry. "Sensei is buying some groceries outside, he said to wait here. Patiently." She emphasized as Gintoki grunted in reply.

That was then he noticed that the girl had something between her lips. "Hey, what are you eating?" He asked her, stepping closer to get a good look at what she was eating.

"Chocolate I bought from the store?" She answered unsurely when Gintoki suddenly lost his balance and fell on her, his lips making contact with hers. Both their eyes widened as they separated from each other.

"You idiot!" (Y/N) had a wide blush across her cheeks as she ran away, feeling shy all of a sudden. "Hm, she tastes sweet. I want some of that~" Gintoki hummed to himself with a slight smirk.

That was how Gintoki came to love sweets— But back then, it wasn't actually the delicacy he liked. It was the taste of her lips on his.

That was the very start— of the story of love of Sakata Gintoki's life. It was also the start of how the silver haired samurai favoured sweets and JUMP.

But what was it that Gintoki loved the most? Which was more precious? Was it sweets? Or was it JUMP?

"Pfft." (Y/N) stifled her laughter when she saw Gintoki buried under the ground, only his head was visible and above ground. "Don't laugh!" He snapped at her while she took a seat in front of him with a book in her hands.

"Sensei punished you again for fighting with Takasugi-kun, didn't he?" She laughs mockingly as Gintoki blushed and tried not to meet her gaze. "I bought this week's issue." She teasingly says as Gintoki's eyes widened and turned to her.

"Also, sensei bought me this really sweet chocolate called Ahollo!~ It's strawberry and chocolate combined together~" She says, with a small giggle when she saw Gintoki trying to resist it.

"You never change, Gin." She laughs as she fed him the chocolate and opened up the JUMP. "I'll read it for you, just like before~" She smiles when Gintoki's eyes lightened up and thus, she spent all day hanging out with Gintoki. Feeding him chocolate and reading him stories.

●●●

"Gin? What's that look for?" (Y/N) asked Gintoki who was eyeing her when she walked in with Shinpachi after buying some groceries. "Nothing." Gintoki turned his attention to the tv where Kagura was watching her soap operas.

Gintoki heard her angelic laughter fill the house. As she takes a seat beside him. "I didn't forget." Gintoki saw her wink at him as she held up the Ahollo Chocolate and the next issue of JUMP.

"That wasn't what I needed." Gintoki says, placing a soft but quick kiss on her lips.

Little did she know, what Gintoki loved the most, wasn't JUMP or Sweets, it was (Y/N).

———————

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

Gin is too precious. Mah baby so cute! ♥️♥️
o

ki_doki_todoroki Hope you like it! ♥️♥️♥️

Requests still open! ♥️♥️♥️