Love Between Two Broken People (Hijikata Toshiro)

"Toshi-Where is Toshi?" Kondo laughs out loud as Yamazaki saluted to him. "Chief! Vice Chief left early this morning for an important mission!" He reported as Kondo sighs, his fingers on his chin as he seemed deep in thought.

"It's a shame Toshi won't be able to send you off before you get married, Mitsuba-dono." Kondo frowned as the woman lets out a soft chuckle.

"It's alright, Kondo-san. Sou-chan here is enough!" She beams as the room was filled with their laughter. Okita's eyes were fixated on his beloved sister, as they conversed.

"I heard Mitsuba's here!" An excited voice chimes as the door slides open and reveals (Y/N). Mitsuba's eyes brightened up when the elder woman enters the room and takes a seat beside Kondo.

"(Y/N)-nee, It's always a pleasure to see you."Mitsuba bowed her head a bit as she waved her hands at her.

"No need for such formalities! And drop the 'nee-san' you're making me feel older, Mitsuba." She gushed as Mitsuba laughs. Okita then bows his head deeply towards (Y/N). "(Y/N)-nee-san! I don't know how to show my gratitude, it was thanks to you that nee-sama's illness had cured!" He says
Okita was a completely different person when two of his most favorite women were standing face to face.

"It's no feat, it's something to repay what she had done for me before." (Y/N) nodded with a hum as they continued talking on for hours.

----

"G..Gintoki?" (Y/N)'s voice was laced with disbelief, the plastic bag in her hand slipped from her grip. Her eyes widening as tears welled up. The silver haired male stared at her too, his eyes widened in shock before they reverted back to his half lidded, dead eye look.

Hijikata was on his usual patrol when he stumbled across the two- he decided not to interfere and hid himself behind a pole. "Oh? Do I know you miss?" Gintoki shrugged it off as he averted his eyes elsewhere.

"Huh? Gintoki- It's me, (Y/N)!" Her voice sounded desperate- as if all the emotions she had was locked in and had poured out. "Y-You...remember me, right?"

"Sorry, but I don't know you- you must've gotten the wrong person." He says as looked down on her, giving her a cold look. "No...No- Look, this scar, you remember it right?!" She pulled down her sleeve and revealed a long deep scar running from her left collarbone to he top of her right breast.

Gintoki's eyes studied the scar with a look saying he knew what it was. But then, he shut his eyes and exhaled- placing a hand on her shoulder. "There's only one woman I know that has that scar."

"She died in the war- along with the man you call 'Gin'. In their bodies left were their undying love for each other with the promises they made to each other." He says as he tipped his head down. "N-No...Gin." She pleaded as she eyed his exposed chest.

"There- Gin, you have a scar on your chest, I gave you that scar when we were sparring back in Shoka Sonjuku!" She pointed to it with her tears now running down her face. "You're mistaken- I got this when I accidentally cut myself while making dinner." He denied and brushed past her.

(Y/N) held her hand out towards him as she collapsed on her knees- sobbing uncontrollably, she watched his back as he got farther and farther away.

"All our memories are laid in front of us...So why do you lie to my face- Gintoki?"

Hijikata sighs, lighting up his cigarette- hands in his pockets he looked up at the sky. "Ah- It really isn't fun hearing things you don't want to." He murmured as he walked away

Shinsengumi Compounds

"Why are you still up?" (Y/N) froze when she heard that deep voice from behind her. Without turning back to glance, she feels Hijikata takes a seat beside her in the overhang. "Couldn't sleep." She laughs lowly while Hijikata let out a small grunt.

"I could ask you the same thing, Toshi." She mutters as she looked down at the ground. "I had some paperworks left- before I noticed, it was already late."

"I see...." She nodded as she glanced at Hijikata. She caught him staring at her, and he looked away with a blush. "Toshi...Can I ask you something?"

"Whatever."

"What do you do when...the person you loved denied your existence?" She asks and Hijikata noted that it was probaby about her encounter with Gintoki. "You think I'll answer with such an obvious question? What's on your mind- Spill it." He ordered as she pouted.

"Toshi, it's impolite to ask a woman about her love life." He grunted in reply, "But I figured you would know- you love Mitsuba, right?" She says as Hijikata furrowed his eyebrows.

"I did- but I got over it a long time ago." He confessed.

"I don't believe you can get over love so quickly." She furrowed her eyebrows at him. "If you got over it so fast- then you can't call it love, Toshi."

"So, what the hell are you spouting about?" He asked and then- he heard her sigh deeply.

"Remember when you found me and took me in Kondo's dojo?" She hummed, "I was fighting in the Joi War then- I had a lover."

"We've been together as long as I can remember." She chuckled with a fond smile as she stared off into the distance. "We loved each other deeply, too much- but we were also scared. Although we fought well in the war, we grew scared of what each day would become." She placed her hands on her chest.

"Every night...We spent together like it was our last. He gave me the courage to stand on the battlefield and survive. He promised to keep me safe- as long as he lives."

"I've been so desperate to search for him but...when I finally did, he acted like he didn't know me anymore. It hurts- to see the man I love live his life happily like I wasn't a part of it- Like we never happened."

"You know- you should just forget about a man like that. He doesn't deserve someone like you." Hijikata says, cheeks flushed with red. "I-If you want...I can help you forget about him. If he doesn't want you to be part of his life...then I want you to be part of mine!"

"Toshi...." (Y/N)'s eyes snapped towards him in a shocked look. "So if....I said I liked you- would you give me a chance?"

"I......I'm willing." Her lips formed a small relaxed smile, as her eyes softened at him with a warm gaze. Gently, she leaned her head on his chest.

After all, only a broken person can heal another broken person.

---

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

By the way guys, please request ♥️♥️♥️. Request are very very welcome