Chapter Three: The Sorting Ceremony

Hermione POV

As we walked through the Great Hall through the double doors, we saw four long tables filled with tons of students and above us were floating candles and what seemed to be the night sky, but I knew that wasn't it.

"It's not real, the ceiling." I said. "It's just bewitched to look like the sky. I read about it in..."

"Hogwarts: A History!" The twins said in unison. "It's our favorite book!"

I smiled at the two of them as I heard that statement.

McGonagall then stops us to the front where a single stool where a raggy hat laid on it. "Will you wait along here, please? Professor Dumbledore would like to say a few words." She said.

The man with the long beard and red robes at the front of the stool then stood up and began to speak.

"I have a few notices I wish to announce. To the First years, please note, that the forest is strictly forbidden to all students. Also, our caretaker, Mr. Filch," Dumbeldore said as he gestures to a bald man in the corner with a strange cat with red eyes. "Has asked me to remind you that the 3rd floor corridor is out-of-bounds to everyone who does not want to die a most painful death. Thank you." He finishes up and sits back down.

"Wow, straight to the point." Y/N says. "Very reassuring."

McGonagall then stands up and announces, "When I call your name, you will come forth, I shall put the hat on your head on your head, and you will be sorted into your houses." She then calls out other names as they are sorted in their houses. I then zoned out for a moment until....

"Hermione Granger!" Professor McGonagall called out, which took me by surprise.

'Oh, no' I thought

'Oh, no' I thought. 'I'm not ready.'

"Okay, relax." I said to myself.

"Don't worry." a voice said, as a hand grabbed mine, revealing itself to be Y/N. "Just be calm." He said with a supportive yet adorable smile, which made me blush madly.

"Thank you." I said quietly.

As I went to the stool, I placed myself and allowed the hat to be placed on my head. The hat gave a lot of "Hms" and "Ah" and finally shouts,

"GRYFFINDOR!"