Chapter 26: Buckbeak, Boggarts and Birthdays

Y/N POV

The next day, our classes began, but of course, Hermione, Lana and I had to go back in time by five minutes for Divination, Muggle Studies and Ancient Runes for all three of us, and then Arithmancy for Hermione and Magical Training for us.

Dumbledore took it easy on us and just reviewed us on what we learned over the summer, defensive spells, charms, jinxes, all the like. After that, we joined up with Hermione and went a little bit forward in time to meet with Harry and Ron as we appeared without anyone noticing.

"Welcome, my children." Professor Trelawney said whimsically. "In this room, you shall explore the noble art of Divination. In this room... you shall discover the sight. I am Professor Trelawney and together, we shall cast ourselves into the future. This term, we'll focus on Tasseomancy, the art of reading tea leaves. So please, take the cup of the person sitting opposite of you."

Each of us grabbed a cup around us and partnered up. Since I was sitting next to Hermione, she partnered up with me. "What do you see? The truth lies buried like a sentence deep within a book, waiting to be read. But first, you must broaden your minds. First, you must look beyond!"

"What a load of rubbish." Hermione said to me, which got Harry and Ron's attention as they looked at Lana too.

"Where did you three come from?" Ron asked wildly.

"Us?" I said. "We've been here the whole time."

"You, boy." Professor Trelawney said to Neville, who looked with curiosity. "Is your grandmother quite well?"

"I think so?" Neville said.

"I wouldn't be too sure about that." She said to Neville. "Look at your cups! Tell me what you see."

I nodded at Hermione as she gave me her cup. "Okay, so..." I said as I looked in my book. "According to this, you have a sun, so you'd have great happiness in your life. And there's a ring, so you'll be happily married when you're older. Even means you'll be with who you love most and they're closer than you think..."

Hermione blushed madly and smiled. "Here, let me see yours." She said as she reached for my cup. "So, I may or may not get this right, but you also have a ring, too. Actually same as me, same signs and everything. Interesting..." She said. Before we both went into it, Trelawney came over to Ron and Harry. "What do you see?" She asked the boys.

"Oh, yeah, um..." Ron said as he looked in Harry's cup. "Well, Harry's got a wonky cross. There's trials and suffering. And that there could be the sun and that's happiness. So... you're gonna suffer, but you're gonna be...happy about it."

Trelawney wasn't humored by this description at all. "Give me the cup." She said as she took it from Ron. "Oh, my dear boy. My dear... you have the Grim!"

"The Grin?" Harry asked. "What's the Grin?"

"Not the Grin, idiot." I said. "The Grim."

"Taking the form of a giant spectral dog. It's among the darkest omens in our world. It's an omen... of death!" Professor Trelawney said aloud to everyone's fear.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You don't think that Grim thing's got anything to do with Sirius Black?" Ron asked as we exited the Astronomy tower and over to Hagrid's lesson.

"Honestly, Ron, despite what we saw in the cups," Hermione said. "Divination is a wooly discipline. Now Ancient Runes, that's a fascinating subject. Right, Y/N, Lana?"

"Yeah, I have to agree." I said. "Even though I liked what I saw in the teacup, Trelawney just had to announce that a Grim could possibly be after Harry." "From how I see it, it seems like she could be making more attention than you could possibly want." Lana added.