Chapter 17: The Stupidest Teacher and the New Chaser

Y/N POV

The first few days were interesting to say the least. Herbology was, since we were reporting on Mandrakes in Greenhouse 3.

"Welcome to Greenhouse 3, Second Years." Professor Sprout said. "Now gather around. Today, we are going to report Mandrakes. Who here can tell me the properties of the Mandrake root?"

Mine and Hermione's hands shot up, ready to answer.

"Yes, Miss Granger, Mr. Lovegood?" The professor called us.

"Mandrake, or Mandragora," Hermione began "is used to return those who have been petrified to their original state.

"It is also quite dangerous." I continued. "The Mandrake's cry is fatal to anyone who hears it."

"Excellent!" Sprout beamed. "Take ten points to Gryffindor! Now, as our Mandrakes are still only seedlings their cries won't kill you yet."

"But they can knock you out for several hours, which is why I have given each of you a pair of auditory protection. So, could you please put them on, right away? Quickly!"

The Gryffindors and the other students (a few Ravenclaws and a few Hufflepuffs) quickly took the earmuffs in front of them, adjusting them as quickly as they could so they wouldn't hear the screams.

"You grasp your Mandrake firmly," Sprout continued. "You pull it sharply out of the pot..." As she spoke, all the students gasped as well as myself, Hermione, Harry, Ron and Lana. She pulled the roots out, revealing a crying plant. We couldn't hear it of course, but the shivering wooden baby was shrieking it's heart out.

"Got it?" She asked. "And... now you dunk it down into the other pot and pour a little sparkling of soil to keep him warm." Neville then groaned and fainted to the floor

"Uh, Longbottom's been neglecting his earmuffs."

"No, ma'am." Seamus said in his Irish accent. "He's just fainted."

"Yes, well, just leave him there." The professor said. "Right! On we go! Plenty of pots to go around- and be careful if you find the Venomous Tentacula, it's teething."

As we got to work, one of the Hufflepuffs came towards the five of us. "Justin Finch-Fletchy." The Hufflepuff boy said as he shook Harry's hand. "Know who you are, of course. The famous Harry Potter..." Harry smiled at Justin.

"And you're Hermione Granger -- always top in everything." As he shook her hand, Justin blushed in front of her, which made me a bit jealous.

"Y/N and Lana Lovegood -- you're the twins who excel at every subject right?"

Lana smiled as Justin shook our hands and I changed my mood towards this kid. He might be good in my book, he does seem nice.

"And Ron Weasley..." Justin finished. "Wasn't that your flying car?"

Ron didn't smile back at Justin. That Howler he got must still make him a bit upset.

Flashback to Breakfast

"RONALD WEASLEY! HOW DARE YOU STEAL THAT CAR! I AM ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED! YOUR FATHER'S FACING AN INQUIRY AT WORK, AND IT'S ENTIRELY YOUR FAULT! IF YOU PUT ANOTHER TOE OUT OF LINE, WE'LL BRING YOU STRAIGHT HOME!"

"Oh, and Ginny, dear, congratulations on making Gryffindor. Your father and I are so proud."

Then it stuck out it's paper tongue and ripped itself to pieces.

Justin then went on about Lockhart, one of the saps who actually believes his false narratives. I mean, how do you find a werewolf near a telephone booth in London?