Chapter 9: Christmas Time!

Y/N POV

November went by in a flick of an eye and now it is now Christmas time here. Snow was falling and some people were either staying back or going home for the holidays. Lana and I were staying back since Mum was called into an Auror mission with two other people, I believe it was Alastor "Mad-eye" Moody and Kingsley Shacklebolt. Harry and Ron were also staying since Harry's despicable relatives probably didn't want to see him and Ron's parents were off to Romania for something. Only bad thing was that Hermione was going back for the holidays. Lana had gotten just as close with her as I have (they might even be best friends too), and we really enjoyed our time with her as we looked for information about the mysterious Nicholas Flamel.

Ghosts fluttered around the hallways singing, "Happy Christmas. Happy Christmas. Ring the Hogwarts bell. Happy Christmas. Happy Christmas." as Hagrid was pulling an enormous tree outside. Ron and Harry were engaged in an intense game of Wizard's chess as Lana and I watched since Ron claimed he was the best at it. Draco did come along to be a jerk like he always is, but he went waffling on.

"Knight to E5!" Harry commanded the tiny piece as it heeded his command.

Ron looked up to him and had a smug grin while Hermione joined us in watching.

"Queen to E5."

The queen listened and made her way toward Harry's piece and whacked the piece with her chair. Hermione looked absolutely shocked at how the game worked.

"That's totally barbaric!" She said with an equally shocked face.

"That's wizard chess." Ron said as he turned to face her. "I see you've packed."

"Absolutely Brilliant, Dr. Watson!" I said sarcastically . "You're a master of stating the obvious."

"See you've haven't." Hermione added.

"Change of plans. My parents decided to go to Romania to visit my brother Charlie." Ron said. "He's studying dragons."

"Wait, dragons?" Lana said as her eyes widened. She absolutely loved magical creatures. "What kinds? Common Welsh-Greens? Urkanian Ironbelly? Norweign Ridgebacks?"

"I dunno, honestly." Ron said. "But I'm staying here regardless."

"Good, you can help Harry, Y/N and Lana." Hermione said. "They're checking on Nicholas Flamel."

"We've looked over a hundred times." Ron whined.

Hermione leaned into the table so only the four of us could hear her. "Not in the restricted section. Happy Christmas."

She then turned to us and motioned us to follow her while Ron turned to Harry. "I think we're a bad influence on her."

As we made our way out of the Great Hall and towards the Hogwarts Express, Hermione turned around to us. "You both will look while I'm gone right?" She asked us.

"Of course we will!" Lana said. "We love a good mystery, don't we, Y/N?"

"Yes, we do." I said. "If we find anything, we'll let you know with an owl."

Hermione beamed and hugged Lana and then me. "Thank you so much, you two. I'm gonna miss you so much." She let go of me. "Bye Lana, Bye Y/N. Happy Christmas!"

"Goodbye, 'Mione." I said with a smile. "We're gonna miss you too. Happy Christmas!"

The Express started to board and Hermione hugged us once more before she got on the train. Just before it left, Hermione waved goodbye to us.

"I'm gonna miss her here. It won't be the same without her with us." Lana said as she put her hand on her shoulder.

"Yeah, she was my first best friend, but after you and Luna of course." I said.