𝕙𝕠𝕞𝕖ᵗʷᵉⁿᵗʸ-ᵒⁿᵉ

HOME —

chapter twenty-one

"You're a model?" Korei asked, staring at Katsuō in shock

"You're a model?" Korei asked, staring at Katsuō in shock. She was awestruck by this woman. "You look so amazing in all of your pictures, I should have guessed it!"

"Awe, sweetheart, you don't gotta be like that. I'm also a nail technician if you ever want your nails done. Hell, I'll teach you everything you need to know about it!" Katsuō rambled off, excited to finally have a younger girl in the apartment. She adored her son, absolutely loved him, but the lack of femininity was a downer. Shinsou was...neutral, so he did everything. Yes, he let his mother put acrylic nails on him when she was a practicing nail tech. It was something that he and his father did, only his father was better at keeping them on. "It's so nice to have a girl in the home! Is your mother alright with you being here?"

"Oh, uh...my mom's kinda...locked up?" Korei nervously mumbled, scratching at the back of her ear whilst Katsuō observed her free hand. The bald woman didn't even bother asking what had happened, she just skipped right over that, which Korei was thankful for.

"Alright, child. Is your guardian okay with you being here?" Katsuō asked, taking Korei's other hand into her own so she could get a better look.

"Yeah! My gran knows I'm staying here for the weekend and everything. It's all good!" The look that Katsuō gave Korei made her bones shiver. "I-if that's okay with you, Katsuō-san!"

"Of course it is, sweetheart! I'm gonna doll you up like never before. Have you ever modeled before? Worn a dress? Heels? What make-up allergies d'ya have?" Korei wasn't overwhelmed by the questions but she was starting to be. She's never really had the opportunity to dress up. Her grandmother bought all of her clothes up until now, not allowing her to have any shorts below her knees or shirts that didn't reach mid-thigh. Korei promised herself that she'd modify those clothes the first chance she got, and the ones that didn't fit her would be donated.

"Mama, leave her alone. You're being overbearing." Shinsou's voice was so monotone and cool that it made Korei's stomach do flips. She loved hearing him talk. It was like she could listen to him speak for the rest of her life. "Plus, you're trying to steal her from me. I don't appreciate that." He stood beside her awkwardly, not comfortable with touching her in front of his mother but also not liking the fact that he wasn't touching her. He was certain that Korei sensed this because her soft, chubby fingers were wiggling their way into the spaces of his own large digits. Damn, she has really small hands...or maybe he just has freakishly big hands? Yeah, definitely. There's not even a chance that Korei had a single imperfection.

"She's just too cute. I'm sure Mona would love her!" Kastuō grinned, stepping away from Korei so she could check the tea kettle. It should have been whistling by now...weird. "By the way, Korei, Mona is my agent. She plans all my modeling shoots and everything. She's always looking for fresh new faces. You could totally come and work with her, you're a shoo-in!"

"I-i'm not sure. I'd love to but I-i've never really modeled before," she muttered, shuffling closer towards Shinsou. The purple-haired boy hummed, enjoying the warmth that she seemed to always emit. "I've never even really wore a dress-dress. The only time that I got to 'dress-up' was during Hanukkah, but that was one time because my dad made me. I was like...six years old." She explained, feeling like she was just rambling at this point. She didn't want to spend too much time on herself, so she just smiled and looked up at Katsuō. "But I do wear mascara sometimes! I know what that stuff is!"

Kastuō gave Shinsou an approving look, three seconds from gushing about how adorable Korei is. "We're keeping her. You did good, son. Korei, darling, you're my daughter-in-law now."

"Oh! Is that how that works? T-toshi and I aren't married yet..." she trailed off, her cheeks going red. Shinsou flushed as well when he realized she said "yet." Katsuō nodded, grinning brightly. She opened her mouth to speak but they all jumped at the loud screech of the tea kettle.

"Damn thing! Always scaring the shit outta me. I oughtta throw this thing out!"

Korei couldn't help but giggle at the scene unfolding before her. She had this sense of belonging that she's never felt. Is this what home feels like?

fluoxetine