Chapter 9: Nightmare

Mavis' pov

"Honey wake up." Feeling someone shaking me lightly, I opened my eyes to be met with the ones from my beloved father. His warm brown eyes squinting slightly as he smiled at me. I dove my hands under my plushies that surrounded me in my comfortable bed. I breathed in slowly and closed my eyes so I could fall back to sleep again.

"Your mother is waiting." My father said in a final voice, patting my head.

"Dad?" I reluctantly pulled my hands out under my plushies, pushing myself up to a seating position.

"You fell asleep, lunch is ready."

I stared at him for a moment. Something inside my head screamed at me to remember something, but I had no idea what it was. I am feeling out of place, as if I do not belong in here. I looked around and immediately forgot about whatever I was just thinking about.

Jolting up out of joy from my bed, I sprinted towards the kitchen and was engulfed by the rich smell of my favorite food.

Smiling at that, I jumped eagerly up and down.
"Yay, mommy made curry!"

A feeling settled inside of me but I couldn't sort it out. It was a feeling that was a mixture of relief and sadness, wich made me stop smiling like an idiot.

I walked towards our dining table and took a seat at my usual spot. Waiting for my mother to give me my plate. Curry is a simple dish, but my mom makes it so delicious that it tops every dish I ever put in my mouth.

My mom had a small smile on her face as she placed the dish on the tabel. I waited for my parents to come and join me, reaching out for my plastic cup to drink some water.

It felt so familiar, as if everything right now was a memory. I furrowed my brows slightly at the weird feeling. Maybe I just feel that way because my mom is the one that always cooks? I have only seen my father cook once. At least he tried to.

It was a special day for my parents that day. They said it was their anniversary? Something like that.

But at the end, my dad ruined my mom's favorite pan and knife.

As we ate, I suddenly remembered something I wanted to ask my parents.

"Mom? Dad?"
Dad gave out a 'hmm?' and mom tilted her head. "Is something honey?"

I placed my spoon down and started kicking my feet under the table nervously.
"You know, in school all the girls got this one doll and I wanted to ask if you could get me one of them, too?" I asked, looking towards my mom with big eyes.

"Of course, but it will have to wait till tomorrow. We wanted to visit the new neighbors, remember?" My mother smiled at me gently, then continued with her meal.

I pouted, my heart falling into my stomach. "But I want it today! The girls and I wanted to play with it tomorrow. I promised them."