Chapter 70: Spikes

Mavis' pov

Shinso and I shared glances as we walked to the field. "Just going to tell you that I'm not going to go easy on you," He held up his hand and I gave him a high-five.

"I expected nothing less from you." He gave me a lazy grin."Just have mercy when you capture me." I mirrored his grin. "No promises."

"Keep your hands to yourself or I'll break all your fingers." Monoma quickly moved his hand  that was outstretched to the back of his neck and closed his eyes, smiling sheepishly and walking up besides me. "I don't have a clue what you are talking about,"

~

"I will take the upper area while you guys look down here for them. I'll play as a bait. Mina, you go with Uraraka. Take the north and west side." The girls nodded with determination at Deku's order. "Mineta, you go with-" His eyes landed on me and I rose a brow. Waiting for him to finish his sentence. Daring him to. He lowered his hand that he wanted to point at me and looked anywhere but at me.

"Never mind. You guys should better go as a trio. I don't think it would end good for any of you guys if they found you alone." They nodded again. "And Mavis, you can do as you want."

"I don't need permission for that." He rubbed the back of his neck. Clearly not knowing what to do with my attitude or what to say without aggravating me, so I loosed a breath. I don't have time for my temper. It's not the place nor the time.

I would have enough time to bark at him after this. Not that I would, anyways. I don't want to waste my breath nor time for my childishness.

"I am going to take the south and east part from above. You could take the west or north side or both, I don't care. Just don't get in my way." He nodded.

I made my way to go upwards, but stopped shortly to add, "And stop letting yourself be pushed around. Stand up for yourself. No one else would do it." It could be because it gets on my nerv to see him get treated like a scum bag while he does nothing, I don't know why. Or it could be because I want someone that gives me back the same energy when I feel like being mean. Doesn't matter now, anyways. I have Bakugo for that.

"Then why treat him like you do?" Mineta asked with confusion and I gritted my teeth, "Know your place." before walking away.

When I was a good distance away from them, I started making water bubbles, bigger ones that I made this morning in the bathroom. You always need to start small to archive your goal. But with my patience...

While keeping out an eye for movements and walking over a pipe, the water bubbles changed to different animals. I loved to make these when I was younger. Most of the time I made snakes. Snakes are one of my favorite animals, when not my favorite.

Concentrating more, I made a corn snake that slithers besides me over the pipe that I am walking on.

I was training my other quirk on animals, too. For the same goal as the other one, but... the animals didn't felt what I wanted them to feel. When I commanded a cat to feel energetic, the cat started to purr and rub on my leg.

When I commanded a dog to feel thirsty, he ended up dropping asleep.

It was getting on my nerv so much that I wanted to grip my hair from the roots and yank them out.

The water-snake deformed when a shout got my attention. I look back, to north, and when a couple of seconds passed without me doing anything I heard another shout, telling someone to run. I felt foolish for even considering to run towards Deku. It were his shouts. But so long with the Yamaguchi taught me to separate personal life with work. And Deku and I are teammates after all, ignoring it would be dumb from me.

I groaned and started sprinting. From the pipe, to a big and long bridge, to another pipe. Jumping when I could and using my quirk when I couldn't. I stumbled when my quirk didn't wanted to work as I wanted it to, but quickly got my balance.

I only sprinted faster when I heard loud crashes and saw something like big black tentacles.

'You don't have the luxury to gawk. Just run faster.' I told myself.

The first thing I saw when I took my last right turn was Deku, these big tentacles were his. I'm useless. Utterly useless against something like this. Even if I had control over my quirks like I did months ago, I would have needed to make eye contact with him. And right now, his eyes are fixated on his hand where these tentacles are coming from.

Is this a quirk of his? I never saw him use it. But, then again, it doesn't look like he has control over it. I don't trust myself to stop his body from moving with my water quirk, and even if I did, it wouldn't stop his quirk. It is nothing for me to control. It doesn't contain water.

So he- I ducked when a tentacle came my way, crashing into the pipe behind me and destroying it completely.

"Get a grip of this shit, damn it!" He only shouted back to me to run. To which I gritted my teeth and furrowed my brows. Haven't I told him to not boss me around? Or wasn't I clear enough?

"Fuck you!" I shouted.

Before I could think over my dumb idea, I was already moving. Pushing myself off the building with water towards Deku. Using my quirk more than I trusted myself. When I wasn't far from him anymore, I shouted for him. He was gripping his wrist with all his might, as if that could stop his quirk from going wild, as he looked at me with fear and desperation.

I could only do one thing. "Sleep"

The words left my mouth and I made myself ready to catch him. But instead of him falling asleep, he started screaming in agony.

My heart started to beat faster. Someone was shouting my name and I looked back. To Shinso. When our eyes met, I saw his eyes widen. He chocked on air before falling on his knees, starting to scream short after that, too.

Before I could panic more, one of Deku's tentacles hit me from the side. I completely forgot them.

I flung to the side and met a pipe, crashing into it before falling down. Readying. I was readying myself for the impact. But one of Deku's tentacles met my body again, and I crashed into a wall from a building.

It was a small mercy that under me was floor. The screams became muffled as I heard my own breaths. My chest hurt, as if I was breathing in spikes instead of air.

My body fell limp to the floor. And short after, I was met with darkness.

1216 words