Chapter 37: It's OK

Mavis' pov

I gave Midoriya a nod, and he tried to punch me again. "You are too slow... what's wrong with you?" I stepped to the side and watch him stumble forward, punching nothing but the air.

"I'm just not sure of my powers still... sometimes they go as I want to, but then, when I rely on them too much, I break another bone." He raised his hands and looked down at them, before I elbowed him in the neck and kicked him with my knee in his gut.

"Don't stop, attack me." I commanded. It was after school, and we were in the backyard of our dormitory. Midoriya and I are training his quirk and capability, I mean, that was the plan but he doesn't use his quirk the whole time...

He swings his right hand for a side punch, but I leaned back. "What's the highest percent of your quirk, that you used and didn't get hurt?" I crouched down and swept his feet off with my right leg. He landed on his butt and rolled to the side, just in time when my fist crushed into the ground, making a little crack on the solid floor.

"Like 15%. I didn't experiment further." He breathed out and stood up from the floor, sending a punch to my stomach. I blocked it, but out of nowhere, his left fist came from my right side, nearly colliding with my cheek if I haven't ducked in time.

"Don't just try and punch me," I jumped and spun in the air, the heel of my right foot colliding with Midoriya's back. He stumbled and fell on his knees on the area where the grass begins. "Use your whole body to fight me."

"I can't. You are too good at close combat. I would need more training before I could even land a punch on you..." He stood up sloppily and I shook my head lightly in disapproval.

"You are just thinking too much." I motioned him to come at me again, and he took a fighting stance before dashing towards me. One arm stretched out and the other one pulled back, for a punch.

I pulled Midoriya from his stretched arm to my side. As he was stumbling towards nothing again, I gripped his fist that was pulled back, and locked it behind his back. He winced and fell to his knees because I kicked them.

"Everyone leaves an opening. Find it, then throw everything at it." I released him from my grip and he panted for a second, holding himself steady on the ground with his palms, pressed on the ground.

"You need to think quick, watch my every move. How I extant my arm, up to how my body twists for a certain direction." He stood up, but leaned on his knees forward.

"C'mon Midoriya quick thinking and observing is your gift. Just use it!" He stood up straight again. I feel eyes on me the whole time, and it's not Midoriya, must be classmates of ours, watching us from inside. I first didn't pay much attention, but the pair of eyes got more.

"Use your quirk. 15% just like you said. Try being faster. Don't think too much about your quirk while you fight. It's yours, a part of you. You control it." He ran at me again, this time with a cry, and I kicked his chin, and he fell on his butt again.

A sigh left my mouth. "Midoriya, what's holding you back? Am I a bad teacher?" He shook his head fast. "No! That's not it! I just-..." I crouched down to his level, and waited for him to continue.

"I think it's just that-" His eyes roamed my face, panicking, not knowing what to say.

"You're insecure." I sat down completely, crossing my legs, Indian style. His eyes widened, mouth open but no words came out.

"Being insecure is okay, Midoriya." My left hand reached to his knee and squeezed it lightly.

"You are the only one in our class that gets hurt a lot because of their quirk. The other one is Aoyama, I don't think he counts, but whatever."

"It's not just that, but my mom shreds tears, every time she sees me hurt. And I don't want to see her cry again." That's heartwarming.

"You can't learn how to control your quirk, if you don't go over your limit. I don't mean beyond your limit, just like 2% more than your capability every time you train." I gave him a small smile.

"And as for you, believing in your quirk; fake it till you make it." His eyes went unfocused, and he sat there for like a minute, thinking over my words. After that, he stood up abruptly and balled his hands in fists.

"Can we do another round?" He looked down at me, and I stood up, dusting myself off.

"Show me what you got."

I was happy when Midoriya beated me 2 times. It was 2 from 29 tries, but it's something...

843 words