Chapter 93: Cyanide

Mavis' pov

When I was little, I wanted to paint everyone in my favorite color. I loved that color so much and thought that if everyone was painted in that color, I would love them. It wouldn't have mattered how their personality was.

I once told that my mother. I said it was possible, because that color showed our humanity. I loved the word 'humanity' because it made me seem like an adult when I used that word. At least, in my eyes.

I couldn't understand why my mother looked at me that way when I told her. She asked me if I watched a movie I shouldn't have.

She was thinking in another way than I did.

I always loved blood red.

And I only realized how absurd I sounded when I saw my own parents painted in that color.

They were haunting me in my dreams for several years after that, covered in blood and telling me desperately that I shouldn't fear them, because they were bleeding my favorite color and just wanted to hug me.

Oddly enough, I still love that color. Just not on people that I like.

Elara and I both took one of Akito's hands. Not a second later, I felt hollow, as if where my heart should have been, there was nothing. It felt like my blood stopped pumping and my body felt light. As if I was about to float.

"You know where to bring us?"

I felt Akito nod through our connection.

"Leave immediately if Elara senses anything." I reminded him again before we three went into a shadowed corner. Shadow-walking feels like you are everywhere and nowhere at the same time. You don't have a body anymore, just a consciousness.

You hear everything and everyone if you don't control your mind. Only Akito can do that. This is a con in shadow-walking if you are not the one with the quirk.

Akito pulled me and Elara with him, because our bodies are like oil, mixed into something that makes us move slowly.

I was holding my breath the whole time, and only inhaled again when we moved out of the darkness and appeared in front of big double doors. I let go of Akito's hand and moved to cover half of my face with my mask. Elara and Akito flanked me, and even though I know Elara wanted to, she did not reach for my hand.

Akito opened the doors with his shadows, and I entered first. The room was big. Bigger than I thought it would be, but less crowded than it should be.

I thought more heroes would be here, but only the big ones, that everyone knows of, are here. The most trusted to the Hero organization. Even the police and that one detective. They all were standing around, waiting for something or someone. And I guess that would be me. Instead of looking at them or stopping, I went to the big conference table that I saw and took my seat at the head. Elara took the one on my right, and Akito preferred to stand on my left behind, watching everyone. Only when I was seated did I look up at everyone.

They were watching me, either because of confusion or mistrust. For me, they looked like little dogs that waited for an order. I gestured to the seats with my right hand and they complied slowly. The headless following made me question their smartness. I do assume that the old madam informed them of a girl that was one of their spies, but why aren't they on edge like I am every day?