Chapter 90: Nuisance

Mavis' pov

I tried not to close my eyes when I saw Kazue raising his hand in my peripheral. Instead of punching me, he lowered his hand slowly after gritting his teeth. He never hit me. But that doesn't mean he never would. There is a first time for everything.

I am sitting on a chair in his office, after following a calm Kazue. It wasn't a calm everyone would think of, like looking at daisies and smiling up at the end of spring sky. It was a lethal calm.

Kazue took a second to organize his thoughts, then walked to his chair slowly. I never looked up at him, only fixed my gaze on the portrait of his grandfather. 'Are you laughing yourself dead right now? Oh wait, you can't.'

"Explain yourself." The ticking of a clock was sounding louder than it actually was, only showing how empty this room actually is. My hands are full of blood, what started to dry up and is now kind of sticky.

"Elara is in the hospital, diagnosed with cancer."

I was expecting nothing less from Kazue. He didn't react to it, as if he never even knew her. If something happened to someone in this organization, he would only look for a replacement. What is another life if it isn't his own or mine?

There are a few exceptions, but all in all, he doesn't care what happens to most of them.

At least he indicates this much.

"What does that have to do with Killer Eye."

"He was the one training her to no end. She was fine the last time I visited." The feeling of dried up blood on my hands was making me feel restless. I tried fighting against scraping everything off with my nails as fast as possible, and only clenched and unclenched my fists.

"You do know he can't use his quirk properly because you made him blind in one eye?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "He still has another one."

He sighed and went through his face with his hand, dragging down his skin a little. "I wonder what gets you killed first- your loyalty or your stubbornness."

"Maybe jealousy from others." Endo said while closing the door behind himself. He grinned like an idiot when we met eyes and reached down to hold my face in his two hands, squishing my cheeks. "Of this beautiful face."

I slapped his hands away and wanted to touch my face, only to remember that my hands are still with blood. "Charming as always." Kazue commented, watching us closely.

"What brings you here?"

Endo turned a little more serious and faced Kazue. "The heroes tried to hack into our system again. This time they activated one of our computer cameras, which we luckily always keep taped closed."

Kazue only nodded absently, thinking deeply.

I furrowed my browns. Nobody told me about this matter.
"How many times did this happen now?"

"About 4 times already today." I stood up and walked up to Endo. "Why did no one tell me?"

He shrugged his shoulders. "Dunno, ask the boss." I turned towards Kazue, only to see him still in his fantasy world. For fucks sake.