Chapter 20: Ghosted

Mavis' pov

The school bell rang, and everyone started packing their things to go have lunch. Aizawa said his last words before dismissing us all, leaving the classroom with sulking and panicked students.

He told us about the final exams. That it's next week and that some of us should learn more, because of their midterm placement. Homeboy also told us that we will have a practical exam, but my mind was elsewhere. Hitoshi was ignoring me and I don't know why.

Did I do something wrong? I can't quite figure it out, I don't remember saying something hurtful to him or doing something wrong? He ghosted me yesterday when I asked him if he wanted to train. I made him a promise after all. But the only thing I received from him was a 'read'.

My training isn't that hard either. We trained once or twice before he told me that he was still sore after our training and that he thinks he should take a break. That was months ago. Before the festival.

"Mavis~ what did you place in midterm?" A sing song-voice brought me back to reality from my thoughts and I looked up to the person.

"Hmm, I placed third." I should have concentrated more in the exam when we took it. To be honest, my mind was elsewhere. I should work on not spacing out more than necessary, it happens quite often now. I was homeschooled when I was still with my foster parents. And even though the teacher was somewhat nice, she was strict and would also teach me things a 17 year old would need to learn in school.

She said I needed to be prepared before anyone else.

Bakugo slammed his hand on my desk which made a loud thud. I gazed slowly up, from his hand that is on my desk to its owner, the boomboom boy.

He looked angry whilst I looked bored and exhausted up to him. 'I don't have time for this bullshit'

"You bitch placed third? How the hell did you place better than me?!" His words came out passed his gritted teeth.

I pouted.
"Buhuu that's bad for you~ should have learned more." I took my bag and secured it over my right shoulder, standing up to leave.

"You-" He extended his hand back, wanting to strike me when Kirishima got between us and patted Bakugo with both his hands on his shoulder. "He lives up to his opinion 'equal rights, equal fights'. Boomboom boy shook the boy's hands off and made his way out of the class, after looking back at me as I gave him a kiss in the air while he shot me a threatening look.

'He really is a drama queen' I sighed slightly before the red head got my attention. He grinned widely at me, his signature face expression, and we made our way to the cafeteria.

I would feel disgusted by this shiny, always happy boy if it weren't for the moments where he acts normal and drops his smile just to breathe for a moment.

I don't know why he does that, and I have no right to ask why he always acts like he is strong. I just focus on my act, because aren't we all acting?

~

"Mavis, won't you eat with us?" Sero held his plate up as he made his way with Kirishima, Ashido and Kaminari to our usual table.

The bubble that I formed with my gum, which I threw in my mouth when we exited the class, plopped when I searched the cafeteria after some students.

"Nah, I wanted to talk with some other students." My eyes found the familiar faces from the students and I nodded to me friends, who were standing besides me with their trays of food in their hands.

"Okay, have fun," I heard Mina say, as I made my way to the two of them, noting that one was missing.

"Oh, hey Mavis! Long time no see."

"Hey you two, mind if I sit with you guys?"

"Not at all!" Kendo grinned and patted the seat besides her, signaling me to take a seat.

I made myself smile to her lightly and took the offered seat.

"Where is Monoma?" Even if he is annoying, I couldn't help myself but ask where he is. I need to have at least one person that can't shut up so I wouldn't have to talk that much.

"Oh he should be here any minute, he was at the food line just seconds ago." Tetsutetsu answered while looking back to the said line. His gaze told me that he wasn't there, because of the way his eyes roamed the cafeteria for him.

"Oh, come on..." I heard Kendo mumble and looked to her before following her gaze. There stood the said blonde boy, whose ego is higher than his IQ.

It looked like he was terrorizing my fellow classmate, Midoriya. I watched for a moment before deciding I should go with Kendo to Monoma.

She hit him behind his head and he fell to the ground because of it. I shook my head lightly and looked to the boy that was kneeling on the ground.

"Monoma that's not funny. Don't you know what happened to Iida?"

"Kendo." Midoriya said her name surprised.

"Sorry, Class 1-A. This guy's heart is just kinda... you know." I made myself giggle lightly at her description just to lighten the mood a bit.

Kendo moved on with talking about the practical exam, telling them that it would be a combat against some robots from the entrance exam. I don't know much about them because of not participating in the entrance exam, so I zoned out. Hitoshi only told me about them briefly. After I remembered that he also existed, I looked around slightly to search for him. Only to find out he was already staring at me.

Creepy...

I shot him a confused look but he ignored it, facing his food again. Kendo touched my shoulder as she started walking back to Tetsutesu, dragging Monoma with her while he is somewhat passed out on the floor. When I looked at the floor I noticed the dirt and I had to scratch my left arm just thinking about all the dirt on my skin and clothes if I was Monoma. The floor wasn't that dirty, but I could still see some.

I quickly nodded to my classmates who looked at me confused, then made my way to the others.

~

"What's with your face the whole time?" Monoma was sitting across from me. I was leaning on my right hand which was positioned on the table, and tried to distract myself with playing with my left hand. Drumming on the table or making random patterns with the tip of my finger on the table.

"Hm?" I looked up to Monoma to see his nose scrunched up.

"You don't talk much with us, are you ok?" This time, Kendo asked and I looked to my left side, facing her.

"It's nothing of your concern." I mumbled and faced the table again. "Are you on your period or something?" The boy across from me asked and I could sense Kendo standing up and leaning across the table to hit the boy.

A smile crept up my lips and I faced the others again.

"It's really nothing." I reassured them and Monoma went to his normal self again.

"Not that I care." He mumbled.

'Of course.'

1253 words