Chapter 89: Elara

Mavis' pov

A lot of people that usually hang out here, went home to their families, if they had one, to celebrate New Years or just drink themselves to death. The ones that have nowhere else to go, stayed here and either are helping with some decorations or simply are just sitting somewhere nonchalantly.

Some don't celebrate New Years, it's mostly because of religious reasons or they simply think shooting fireworks up into the sky is just a waste of money and time.

I belong to the second group. But because of Elara, I'll just have to pretend like I like it. She and I used to spend a lot of time together. With Ekthin always out to retrieve more informations to blackmail others, she was always alone.

And to be completely honest, I always felt bad for little children, looking abandoned from everyone and just being alone.

While I was watching the others do their thing, Toga walked up to stand besides me, watching the others like I do. There were still quite a lot of people, so someone took the responsibility to be the leader for the decoration team.

Twice was smiling like a child, running up and down to help everyone, but at the same time, not helping. He offers his help to hold the ladder for a young woman, and when she said yes he held it for maybe 2 seconds, then saw a man struggling to carry two boxes and ran up to him to offer his help.

The woman on the ladder nearly fell down because she lost her balance, but Compress helped her, shaking his head with a sigh as he looked after Twice.

"It's nice having you guys around." I admitted genuinely. I am always scared to tell people how I feel, just because I don't want them to use it against me afterwards, so I was counting my fingers without looking down. Tapping them with my thumb.

"I thought you would go to your parents' house for New Years at first."

"Why would you think that?" I furrowed my browns slightly. Twice let the box he was carrying fall down and he ran up to another man, carrying a cake.

Toga shrugged her shoulders besides me. "Because you told us to watch after your guests. Why else would you need our help if you could do it on your own."

Normally Toga and I would never really talk about things like these. She would just go with the flow and not ask questions if it comes to me, so I am wary of her intentions right now.

"It's because I trust you enough to look after them while I can't."

"Okay." She said at the end, sighing and looking around.

We stood there for another moment silently.

"My parents died when I was young." Toga turned her head towards me, but I kept looking straight ahead to watch Twice, stuffing his mouth with cake he promised the man not to eat. "I received foster parents but I don't like them very much." I smiled slightly.

"We don't talk. But you sometimes remind me of my foster mother."

"In a good or bad way?" I shrugged my shoulders. "She wasn't that bad. Sometimes she would teach me how to cook," After dragging my ass out of my raggedy room and telling me I shouldn't cry because my wounds aren't that bad. "or buy me new clothes because she thought of me." Like a new shirt because my last one was burned by K.J. while I was wearing it.