Wake From This Coma

It's been about two days since Catlynn slipped in a coma, and to be honest, we were all a bit of a mess. None of us could stop crying, and in all honesty, I cried the hardest I have ever cried in my life. I had only known my sweet Sunshine for seven months, and it was quite possible we would lose her. 

And more bad news. Cat's best friend Red moved yesterday, and she didn't know the news until it was too late. I texted Red on Cat's phone and broke the news to her, and she said that she would try to get to the hospital later today. But no promises. 

But on the bright side, Violet Gardner's gone for good. Which is amazing. 

I sat up in my bed and sighed, almost about to go to Cat's room and wake her up, forgetting for a split second that she was in the hospital. 

Then it hit me. I hadn't broken the news to Jessica yet. She just thinks that Cat's at a sleepover, even though I told her nothing. I walked out into the living room and tried to dry my tears.

"Elle? When's Cat coming home?" Jessica asked. Shoot. I had to tell her somehow.

"Um...about that. She's in the hospital." I said.

"WHAT?!" Jessica yelled, sitting up. "Where? Why? Until when? What is happening?" 

"Okay, okay, calm down. Okay, that might be a bit hypocritical, because I've been the farthest thing from 'calm' all day. Um...so, it's a long story." I said, trying to hold back my tears.

"JUST TELL ME! I'M GETTING WORRIED!" Jessica snapped. I backed up, not wanting to get her madder than she already was. I sighed and decided to just tell the truth.

"Okay, so, when Cat found out that Red was moving, she called Katie in a panic. Katie took her home and calmed her down a little, then Cat wanted to take a walk to clear her head. She slipped and dislocated her knee. Katie took her to the hospital, they put her in surgery, and something apparently went wrong. She's in a coma." I said. 

"I'm sorry, Cat's in a what?" Jessica said, in total denial. I nodded sadly, then it finally hit her. Jessica started sobbing.

"Is she gonna make it?" Jessica asked softly. I sighed and said, "I hope. That's all we can do. Hope. The doctors are doing everything they can to save her."

Suddenly, my phone rang. It was Evan.

"Elle, come to the hospital. Now." Evan said.

__________

At the hospital, I couldn't help but cry. I was trying to find Evan and the others, and when I did find them, they were outside of Cat's hospital room. All I could hear was beeping. 

"Oh my God, you two are here." Katie said, throwing herself on me. I hugged her back and said, "What's going on?" 

"It's not going well." Katie said, wiping tears from her eyes. 

"Excuse me?" Jessica said. A doctor came out and tapped Katie on the shoulder. Katie pointed towards me and said, "She's her mom, not me."

The doctor sighed and said to me, "Your daughter's on life support." 

Jessica, Katie, and I looked to each other and the doctor backed up. Once he left, we all collapsed into tears. 

Ryan, Alice, and Evan ran up to us. Alice said, "What's wrong?"

"SUNSHINE'S ON LIFE SUPPORT AND I HAVE NO CLUE IF SHE'LL MAKE IT!" Jessica yelled. Evan started bawling. We all were losing it. 

The doctor came back about ten minutes later and said, "I think it's best you say goodbye..."

"This is it." Katie said, holding my hand for dear life. 

She ran up to Catlynn and said, "Sunshine, it's Katie. I'm gonna really miss you. I'm never going to forget you. You changed my life for the better forever. I'm gonna miss your contagious smile and your sweet little laugh. I love you so much." Katie kissed Cat's forehead and backed up. 

Evan stepped forward and said, "Hey kid. It's me. Evan. Um...I really don't know what to say. God, these are my last words to my little sister. Um, thanks for being the sweet, funny kid I loved so much. I might learn how to play saxophone in your honor once you're gone. God, it hurts saying those words. Love you."

I smiled at Evan. Ryan and Barrett were crying too hard to talk, and so I did the honor of saying my final words to Cat. I had to. I'm her mother. And I'll always be her mother.

"Um...Sunshine, you have no idea how much I love you and how much you changed my life. You're so amazing and sweet and kind and funny, and I'm going to miss you more than anything else in the world. You changed my life forever. I never thought I would be a mother, but then along came you. I love you so, so much. You're a light in the world, a light in my world. You're my sunshine. Say hi to Ethan for me. Tell him Elle says hi. I love you."

Suddenly. Cat opened her eyes and I screamed. Katie shushed me, and Cat whined "K-Katie?"

"Why doesn't she want you?" Ryan whispered harshly in my ear.

"Katie was the last person she saw. I'm not taking it personally." I said. Katie ran up to Catlynn and stroked her hair. "Honey, it's me. Baby, I'm right here." Katie cooed softly in Cat's ear. It was the sweetest thing I've ever seen. Katie started softly singing Solla Sollew.

 Cat sat up and smiled, pushing a strand of auburn hair behind her ear. "Hi Mommy." she said softly.

"Catlynn...Sunshine..." I said, resisting the urge to throw my arms around my daughter and cry into her hair. Eventually, I gave into the urge and hugged Cat tightly. 

"She's awake." I heard, and Cat's friend Red was standing at the door. "I thought I was too late. Evan texted me on Cat's phone and told me she was dying, and I got super scared."

"Hi Red." Cat said. "I'm not dying anytime soon." Cat giggled softly and the doctor came in.

"I did not expect her to wake up." the doctor said. Red chuckled softly and hugged Cat. 

"I have good news." Red said, holding Cat's hand. Cat smiled and said, "Violet got eaten by alligators?"

"God, I wish. But I'm living with my super cool aunt! So Violet's moving, but I'm staying!" Red yelled. Cat squealed and hugged her friend tightly.

"How long was I out for?" Cat asked.

"Two days." Katie said. "The scariest two days of my life."

"Understandable. But I'm here." Cat said, flashing a sweet smile. 

I winked at Alice and we all hugged Cat the tightest we could, and no one was planning on letting go.

AN: I'm sorry for giving you all a scare, I just generally enjoy being evil. And Red's one of my favorite characters, so I couldn't bear to make her go. Hope you enjoyed! Catch ya later!